• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to keep the shift tower from turning

Happy Face

I've done all the work there is to be done with my shifter (that I know of). Its main problem WAS sloppiness. All the wear parts and been replaced and it has a nice new BMW shift lever to proclaim its refurbishment. It is now as tight as i think it can be (short of putting in a completely new short-shifter).

The problem is that the entire tower turns/twists still in my palm. Is there a way to keep the tower from rotating? The shift knob itself is screwed down tight so that isn't the issue. Its the tower itself that is rotating.

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

There is no obvious way to keep the shifter from twisting. The shifter is actually two pieces, the upper half which the shift knob screws onto and the lower half that goes through the shifter perch and connects to the shift linkage coming out of the tranny. The top half is fitted over the bottom half and succured with a circlip and washers only, so it can spin all it wants. The only solution I can think of to stop the twisting of the top half would be to drill a hole through the lower end of the top half into the bottom half and put a screw in there. That would keep it from twisting. Hopefully I haven't lost you here but if you remove the shift boot you will see what I mean about the two halves.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

If I recall, there is a rubber buffer between the two parts of the shifter that is compressed when the circlip is in place. If you replace that or stick some kind of shim in there, the shifter should generally stay put and only turn under friction. It may not be completely immobile that way, but it's stock and I think drilling might be a headache, what with the ball shape of the inner piece and the chromed surfaces (at least on my shifter). Just my $.02.

'73 2002tii Agave green #2763558

The rubber bush between the 2 halves is to reduce heat and vibration from the gearbox. Try pulling the circlip off and putting a shim in there or maybe some silicone squirted in there will bind the top to the bottom and still allow for vibration to be absorbed. beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

If I recall, there is a rubber buffer between the two parts of the shifter that is compressed when the circlip is in place. If you replace that or stick some kind of shim in there, the shifter should generally stay put and only turn under friction. It may not be completely immobile that way, but it's stock and I think drilling might be a headache, what with the ball shape of the inner piece and the chromed surfaces (at least on my shifter). Just my $.02.

Yeah, What can be done is when you remove the top part of the shifter put a few drops of epoxy in the top, re-assemble, set it for the way you want it and then it shouldn't move.

Mine didn't and was tiiight, until i took it apart!