• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

m20 powered 74tii

powelli

Are you routing brake lines in a new direction, or do you have pre-bent?

I only ask because it looks like its going to be a tight fit to work around with the engine already in place!

No pre-bent lines.....new lines will be bent and run at the shop. If I had done everything, I would have installed them before the engine went in. Oh well, it's not my knuckles.

By the way, what are those bars zip-tied to the radiator?

Those zip ties go to the electric fan that is sitting on the front of the radiator. Not sure if I like this method of attachment.

Honestly, I really just want to get this thing fired....figure that I can adjust for aesthetics once it returns home.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with Charley, that looks great! I know we talked about your exhaust a couple of months ago before it was installed and now with the photos it gives me something to go off of. You used the MSDS shorty headers? Did you need the exhaust shop to fab you "Y" pipe? I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but would it work to have dual pipes and run a super sprint center resonator like an M3?

I won't be able to build out an exhaust until next year, but I do appreciate all your photos and your willingness to share info. The car looks great and wish I could have taken more time building up my 02. Oh well... it's a great rally car and I guess it's fast enough for now... ha.

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

Project Thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,339365/

Thanks for the kudos guys.

Evan -

Yes, I had to have the Y-pipe fabricated by the exhaust shop. I believe that it is 2.25in pipe that flares to 2.5in before heading into the center muffler. I decided to follow the suggestions of others on the board (canadamatt, instructorbill) when putting the system together and never really considered a dual pipe setup.....not sure if you could fit something like that in the available space.

Car is running and mechanical work is completed. Heads to the booth next week.

I'll try to take a video of it running next week and post it up.

• 2 months later...

Well....long time since I last posted an update. Couple reasons. First, I have been tied up dealing with family matters. Second, the pace of work was glacier like during the past few months.

Mechanicals were completed on the car in May and the car went over to the bodyshop in preparation for paint. While parked in the parking lot, it got backed into by another customer which ended up introducing about 4 weeks of delay as we worked out how to best repair the damage with insurance.

In the end, the shop ended up bringing in the best PDR guy they could find for the repair work. They told me that he was originally from Germany and that he spent the better part of a day working the dent and used no filler on the repair.

Other factor in the delay is that the work is being performed by the shop owner who is also busy dealing with the day to day operations in the shop. Consequently, his time to perform work is limited. I have come to understand this and at this point I am willing to wait as I am confident that he is the guy that I want in the booth.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the damage and repair as well as some from today that show that they have started sanding for paint. I am told that they would like to get it under color next week.

Ouch

Post PDR

Prepping for paint

More in a week or so......

DSCN1339.JPG

DSCN1336.JPG

DSCN1333.JPG

DSCN1343.JPG

DSCN1342.JPG

DSCN1381.JPG

DSCN1387.JPG

DSCN1388.JPG