• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

those of you with trunk mounted batteries that arent sealed

johnpaul

those of you with trunk mounted batteries that aren't sealed risk spilling battery acid all over your trunk and letting out toxic fumes. if i were you i would either fabricate a sealed box with a tube going through the bottom of the car so gas can escape, or buy one of those redtop or yellowtop batteries they are good you can position them anyway you want and they wont spill, tough too. also you could probably buy a battery box for your trunk i think late model bmw's and merc's have the battery in the trunk and they come with a box and a vent so if you have an unsealed battery in your trunk don't say i didn't warn you.

I ran an unsealed battery in my trunk for 8 years in a TEP shock tower brace, never had problem with fumes or corrosion. Maybe the '02 is naturally not as "airtight" as newer cars? Did just get an Optima, though.

Ian

'76 M2

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

johnpaul - all of your points and worries are the same , and even more so

for the original mounting position out front in the engine room.

Most 02's I see don't even have securing hold dowm brackets!, vent their gases all over the rest of the electrical components behind it, fumes enter

in through the heater - more so on cars missing their engine compartment rubber seals.

If one does mount the battery into the trunk - all you need is a tiny hole drilled for the vent hose (just like any present day BMW) and of course

secure brackets holding the battery down

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"