• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '71 02 PROJECT

jerry

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i'm busting my butt brian. i REALLY want to make it in my own car. i'm gonna install the engine/tranny this weekend. tomorrow will be the carpet install; sunday the engine/tranny. i just got through wrapping the wiring harness on the white one before the mosquitoes nearly picked me up and carried me away to their den. this past rain really brought those bastards out.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

well, it took a lot more time than i had planned but my carpet is installed and i'm one happy person. i worked very hard to get this carpet to look right. it was an eBay special and the form and fit was nothing like the old Bimmer Parts Company carpet kit. oh how i miss those kits. i installed one of those kits many years ago and i don't recall having this much effort to make it look good. anyhow, the work paid off because i'm pleased with the final look. i had to do quite a bit of fitting but the job is behind me and i'll know better for the next time.

now, if only i can find my darn seatbelts i'd have the rear seat installed.... i placed the rear seat back and driver's side in the car just to have a look-see. i'm desperately trying to finish in time for the palo alto show.

i still have the engine to install and hook up all the lights and other misc.

post-260-13667577483564_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667577485239_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667577486891_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667577488826_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667577490811_thumb.jpg

& 1 special alfa

no pictures but i was able to chip away at the car in between homestead issues. new wheels are on. door seals and threshold installed. grab bars, 1/4 window levers, alternator and water hoses installed, rear trunk seal installed. exterior trim installed on shell.

next up is the seat belts, rear seat, rear panels and front seats, glove box.

i'm thinking i should be able to finish in time to at least start it up in a week.

& 1 special alfa

thought i'd update my progress by copying text from a previous post in the general forum. it's a mad dash till this saturday. i had to modify the shifter support because of clearance issues but i made it look clean and deliberate. the rear seat is in and looks great. rear shelf board is in with new black vinyl. i'm sooooo anxious to drive this car!!!!

i'm peddling as fast as i can.

got the following to do:

hook up shifter, driveshaft, differential DONE!!!

halfshafts. TOMORROW ................................done

hook up clutch line DONE................................done

connect accelerator linkage. DONE

install alternator,DONE

belt, .....................................................still TO DO

radiator, hoses DONE

reassemble solex single barrel and attach ALMOST DONE, NEED TO FIND ACCELERATOR ROD.......................................done

install seats, seatbelts, REAR SEATS DONE

visors, glovebox........................................still TO DO

sort out rear battery hookups DONE

connect headlights/tailights .........................done

finish trim installation ................................still TO DO

install doors and hardware, windows, ............NEED TO DO

door seals DONE

bleed hydraulic system ...............................done

install trunklid DONE

and hood and related hardware ................still TO DO

wetsand DONE

FORGOT TO LIST BUMPERS AS WELL.

it's doable, but definitely not certain, yet. i'm thinking of pulling the doors off my scrap car to save time.

& 1 special alfa

• 2 weeks later...

getting nearer to completion after taking a week off. didn't finish in time for palo alto show, oh well....

it's now a matter of finishing all the small two-bit tasks that drag on. i've completed all work underneath the car so all that remains is to re-torque rear hubs and front suspension when car is on the ground under its own weight. hydraulics are complete and fluid is bled.

remaining items:

reassemble doors, hardware and install

bumpers, front and rear

glovebox, center console

find front seatbelts and install

install front seats

sunvisors

attach hood and trim

attach battery, fill with gas, insert key, turn ignition and listen to the engine fire up as soon as gas enters the combustion chamber.

yea right.....

post-260-13667578625725_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667578627503_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667578629364_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667578631016_thumb.jpg

& 1 special alfa

• 2 weeks later...

been a couple weeks of time off from the project. not making the palo alto show kinda took the wind from my sails. additionally, i'm still under the gun to relocate all my crap. been selling my childhood stuff on ebay lately. i'm making some nice spending cash while cleaning out things. i regret selling most of my very old 1940's Schwinn bikes and parts really cheap to a person who turned out to be nothing more than a parts whore. rather than restore them as he said, he parted them out. oh well.

anyhow, this past weekend has been spent on ONE DOOR, only. it's amazing how much effort is involved to fully reassemble one of these.

the driver's side door is on. the seats are in and the glovebox is installed.

i found my seatbelts, finally, but they'll need some rework (tears and frayed).

i found a pair of really poor grills for this car. i bead blasted them and painted them silver. i intend the paint the black slats appropriately. don't want anyone thinking it's a 1600.

post-260-1366757901378_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667579016412_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667579018198_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667579019975_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667579021848_thumb.jpg

& 1 special alfa

getting closer.........

here's a couple teaser photos. hope to try to start it tomorrow. it's been a year and a half and the sense of satisfaction is immense.

i can't wait to return to my white car to get it sorted out. however, i will not immobilize it to the extent this car was.

post-260-13667579165213_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667579166864_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667579168599_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667579170324_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667579171959_thumb.jpg

& 1 special alfa

the car is a RUNNER now. the idle is smooth after replacing the distributer. used a timing light to set timing and was gonna adjust valves but my resident porsche expert said they sound fine as is. i'll check when engine cools.

this is an all stock car 'cept for the 5 spd. it's not as tight as driving my 75, but it has more of a vintage feel around the corners. must be the narrow, stock wheels. was a gas driving it for the first time.

need to install front seat belts, sunvisors, license plate, bumpers, grills, rear view mirror, fix the turn signals, alternator light and horn, steering wheel and finish the trim.

then i can call this PROJECT complete, but not yet.....

stay tuned.

& 1 special alfa

Nice work Jerry - your nearly there! Great feeling starting it up for the first time in so long ey!

you got that right!!!! the hardest part now is actually finishing up all the really small stuff that needs to be done to call it DONE. i've already got my eye on my white car.... it's also satisfying to have gotten this far without quitting.

although, if the truth be told, i really AM contemplating having the exterior resprayed by a professional. i'd do it myself but i just can't bear to do that work on THIS car.

i intend to spray my next car myself, but i just wont do it again on this car. sick of working on it, i suppose.

& 1 special alfa