• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAQ Diagnostic - Take a listen to my Rear Wheel Sounds

OllI

Hey everybody

Went over a few railroad tracks today...finally producing one of the most disgusting sounds. Not a click click but a slap slap?

Good ol' noise coming from the driver's rear well. Doesn't seem like it's metal slapping the same but something softer...the weird part is that noise production stops upon acceleration. Coasting makes it return.

If I give it some gas and apply brake the noise dissappears.

I know these sounds are horrible so I haven't looked yet...went to the FAQ to see what I should look for first?

CV boot/joint?

Brake Line?

Spring Broken...break gone wrong 2005?

I'm down hear what you've all got.

TIA

Nick

Check your two rear exhaust mounts and check where it goes over the rear cross member, things are real tight in that area and any movement and some thing will hit

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

i had similar horrific sound that was intermittant. don't recall if it occurred on accel or coast but turned out to be bad bearing on input shaft of differential. see if you can get any lateral movement on the rear end of the driveshaft.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Wouldn't a key exist in the sound vs speed...?

How can something stop making a sound when the car going in the same direction.

I know that isn't too clear...

Let me know any other variables. Thanks for all of your replys

Nick

good chance that the hub's come loose from the stub axle, especially given your drive- related noises. When you gas it, it puts tension on the splines, and keeps them from moving. When you let off, they can wobble around freely.

This is pretty common... and potentially dangerous as all get out.

Toby

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

yeah, it might look good,

and it can even be friction- welded to the hub so it FEELS tight,

but if you can't trace it to anything else, (like a bearing) it's worth breaking it loose

then re- snugging it (not a trivial task without a 4- foot bar)

The only time I've had real trouble with these is when someone lets it get loose, it wears the piss out of the hub and the splines, and then it gets tightened down again. Then it REALLY relies on the pressure of the nut, and eventually makes a bid for freedom.

I'm up north of the U- district...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've had a castellated nut come loose...on the passenger's side just about this time last year.

Interesting thing but not quite the same noise. Even more I did see a bit of wear on the stub when I put the contraption back together...seems like the wheel turned awhile before the nut popped off.

I'll definitely check for the same thing on the driver's side. Being that I haven't even given it a good look yet.

Thanks again man.

With all the good weather we've been having recently I was thinking about getting a few together for a drive. Eitherway that's a thought.