• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get rid of a non-rolling shell?

MatthewCervi

Anybody have any experience with disposing of a non-rolling shell? Seems like I can't just call a tow-truck to come take it to a scrapyard since it doesn't have any wheels or suspension on it, but I can't be the first person to run into this problem.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

I have my parts car, which at some point I'm going to completely strip. The guy I got it from (my old girlfriend/affair-partner's brother) never gave me the signed title, although I asked him fifty times. I'm going to drag it late at night and drop it off on the street in front of his parent's house since it's closer than his. My ol' girlfriend won't talk to me anyway so she can pretend she never had an affair with me, so let the parents make him deal with it since it's their fault their daughter and son are jerks.

Guest Anonymous

and told the guy I had a shell, no wheels, nuttin. The only thing he cared about was the title. I had the shell on a homemade dolly, pushed it out of the garage, and he winched it up on his flatbed, took a check for $50 and we were both happy.

Try that. Call someone can tell them what you have.

From the Washington Post Classifieds today under Autos wanted, section 1447:

Junk vehicles removed free 202-714-9835

Try other papers too.

Also, ask independent repair shops, body shops, etc. if they know anyone.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Depending on where you are, you should be able to find someone to haul it off for free- or at least cheaply..... It's not that hard to winch a 2002 shell up onto a roll-back flatbed wrecker. There are folks around here who will haul off almost any scrap steel for free- remember they get paid for the steel. Before I got my car trailer, I had a local guy haul off a couple of cars for me- he had a steel deck flatbed and got them gone with no problem. Scrap steel prices have been pretty good for a while- I got $5.00 per 100# about 2 months ago, but it has dropped to ~$3.00 now (those prices are what the steel recycling yard pays when you bring it to them). Still worth the trouble for someone to haul it off.

Call around to some of the metal recycling yards in your area, and see if they can recommend anyone to haul it away. If that fails, call some of the local tow companies and ask if they are buying scrap cars (!!!), who knows, you might actually make some $$ off the deal.....

Alternatively, you could chop it into about 4 pieces, and load it all in a pickup truck and take it yourself.

Bret.

Guest Anonymous

If it's a 75 or older, whack it up with a sawzall, chuck it in a dumpster. but save the steering dash cover, vinplates and title and sell it to a californian as a "vin-up restoration project"

married! She was my girlfriend in 1968, had an affair with her in 1990 (instigated by her as I had barely talked to her for 10 years at that time, and she was married, not me) and now several years of I'm not talkin' from her. Most marriages don't last 37 years.

Wise junk yard on Hall Shop Road, I think they may take it.

Mike was under the impression I was carrying some fendors to him today.

Did I forget to take something to Raleigh?

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5