• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smog Coolant Sensor Plug on Intake

Go to solution Solved by Stevenc22,

I removed my smog equipment sometime ago and all’s well. However, I recently removed the starter and the abandoned coolant sensor under the intake manifold was in the way. I had to remove it and deal with coolant etc. Before I reinstall my starter I’d like to (1) confirm that without the smog equipment this sensor is obsolete and (2) find out what size it is so I can plug it.

5A15D7B6-9D1D-4474-B1A4-3E7D02E9482B.jpeg

DF554DEE-B2CC-4747-9467-2CFD76F1B659.jpeg

46672F76-B20B-4B13-8357-3C7933DF6FE3.jpeg

• Solution

I have a 76 with *most* of the CA smog components still on it. I looked and found there is still a sensor on my car but the tab has broken off so there is no wire connected. Can anyone explain what it does? Somehow my car passed smog without it! 

8 minutes ago, Eissmann said:

Can anyone explain what it does?

Temperature Switch #2 in the water jacket under the intake manifold closes at 114 degrees and grounds the Choke relay and the EGR relay.  The Choke is powered until the engine reaches operating temperature.  The EGR relay powers the Red top valve when the engine is cold (No Vacuum), then powers the Black top valve when the engine is >114 degrees (No vacuum advance).

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Mark92131, Thanks for the explanation! This raises more questions, but my car is starting and running pretty well without it. I will do a little more investigation, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 4:56 AM, Stevenc22 said:

For the record this sensor and its corresponding hole is an 

M14 x 1.5

The one listed on eBay above is a very nice option. Better than I found elsewhere.

Plug inserted.. Rebuilt starter installed. Good time drives to be had.

• Like 3