• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driveshaft bearing

Geep

Before I start taking this thing apart… will I need to drop the exhaust before replacing this bearing, or can I just remove the rear half of the driveshaft to replace the bearing? Pic for reference. 

IMG_2063.jpeg

1976 2002 - 4spd man

1976 2002 no engine, in pieces

1974 2002 in pieces

Glad my wife puts up with my crap

7 minutes ago, Geep said:

Before I start taking this thing apart… will I need to drop the exhaust before replacing this bearing, or can I just remove the rear half of the driveshaft to replace the bearing? Pic for reference. 

Drop the exhaust and remove the entire driveshaft.  You will need to modify a box wrench to remove that nut that holds the 2 sections of driveshaft together to replace the center support bearing.  With the driveshaft out of the car, you'll need to rig a piece of flat iron to the mounting holes on the center support bearing to keep the driveshaft from twisting while you remove the nut holding the 2 driveshaft sections together.  Don't forget to mark the 2 sections so they go back together correctly to maintain the balance.  Search the FAQ for additional tips.

Mark92131

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

7 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

You will need to modify a box wrench to remove that nut that holds the 2 sections of driveshaft together to replace the center support bearing. 

Not necessary.  I posted pics on here showing a std Craftsman wrench taking one apart.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

6 minutes ago, jimk said:

Not necessary.  I posted pics on here showing a std Craftsman wrench taking one apart.

Can you link that thread so I can check it out?

1976 2002 - 4spd man

1976 2002 no engine, in pieces

1974 2002 in pieces

Glad my wife puts up with my crap