• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Hoists

Go to solution Solved by tech71,

On 1/6/2024 at 12:59 PM, tech71 said:

Go with a 2 ton capacity, 1 ton boom is a bit short. 

For a squaretail anyway, My 1 ton was a few inches from lining up with engine because it hit my front diving board bumper, May not be a prob for roundies or no front bumper cars😉

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

4 hours ago, tech71 said:

because it hit my front diving board

Yup... exactly why I replaced the boom with a 24 inch longer section. 

• Like 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Thanks, guys. 

I failed to mention (i) I will be using the hoist for more engines and other items and (ii) I had always planned to use a load leveler.  All of your suggestions, recommendations, and comments entered open ears and were taken to heart.  Yes, always a few used versions on CL. 

Larry

• Like 1

Another vote for the HF foldable 2-ton hoist.  I don't have room for a free-range cherry picker, so being able to fold it up and store in the corner of the shop is a real plus.  I have found all sorts of uses for the hoist when I wasn't pulling engines, ranging from hanging the 400 lb frame when I was building an english wheel to supporting large parts that I was spray painting.

• Like 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

2ton HF FTW.

And please do not leave an engine hanging on the lift.   The hydraulic rams can fail.   Slowly or suddenly causing the engine to drop.   Very dangerous if you are working on it or nearby.  Have seen this happen. 

Buy an engine stand. 

You don't work on a car with just a jack under it right?  Why would you trust the same technology with an engine hanging on it?

Edited by M3M3M3
  • Like 3

2xM3