• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bumper color/finish inside the bumpers

Blue 02
Go to solution Solved by AceAndrew,

For a winter project, I'm looking to rechrome the front and rear bumpers on my '73.  What is the correct finish to use on the backside or inside the bumper?  Do they chrome that surface too or is there a factory paint color they should be?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ya got your choice.  Apparently BMW bought its bumpers from two different suppliers, or the single supplier had more than one paint pot.  

I've seen bumper insides painted both silver (very close to the silver used on steel wheels) or a light grey.  Sometimes on the same car, and even on the same bumper.  

The chrome on the bumpers' insides was very thin, or even non existent, thus the paint.  Never figured out how they could chrome one side but not the other, since it's done by immersion.  

Bottom line: either is correct, so take your pick.  I would, however stick with the same color just in case a future car show judge didn't know all these goofy details.

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• Solution
30 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

I've seen bumper insides painted both silver (very close to the silver used on steel wheels) or a light grey.  Sometimes on the same car, and even on the same bumper.  

Seeing the insides of hundreds of chrome bumpers .... this reflects my experience.  

This color is close, but not "perfect", but with so many variations the "correct" finish is an illusion.

IMG_3000

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Seeing the insides of hundreds of chrome bumpers .... this reflects my experience.  

This color is close, but not "perfect", but with so many variations the "correct" finish is an illusion.

IMG_3000

Thank you for the reply and photos - those bumper parts look wonderful!

Any chance you know the color they used?

Thanks again - Rich

Terribly sorry, I don't recall the color.  In the pre-paint phase I sprayed a couple generic light greys on a piece of cardboard and held it up to a NOS bumper section to compare.

Thank you, best of luck on your winter project.  Finding a good old-school chrome shop will be the main concern.  Hopefully Wisconsin still has some left!

8 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Ya got your choice.  Apparently BMW bought its bumpers from two different suppliers, or the single supplier had more than one paint pot.  

The chrome on the bumpers' insides was very thin, or even non existent, thus the paint.  Never figured out how they could chrome one side but not the other, since it's done by immersion.  

Bottom line: either is correct, so take your pick.  I would, however stick with the same color just in case a future car show judge didn't know all these goofy details.

mike

Tha ka for the reply - I’ll try a couple different shades and pick one close to what’s on the front bumper now - very faded though!