• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Momo Prototipo installation – metal ring question

UpnorthMN

So I just installed my new Prototipo steering wheel. Horn works, wheel is centered. But I could not determine where to use this ring shown in the picture.

Where is this ring used?

Also, I did not use blue Loctite on the hex screws. Should I?

Thanks in advance...

IMG_1310.jpeg

Nice looking steering wheel!

That looks like the lock ring for the horn button- but if everything works without it, off you go!

I would use loctite, having had a similar steering wheel come loose there.  It made

a bit of a mess of the black anodising before I noticed it.   

You'd catch it far before it became a safety issue.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If you look on the back side of the horn button, you should find a split ring (as you pictured) that clips into indentations on the ears that hold the horn button assembly to the hub, thus putting tension on those ears.  If there's a ring there already, you have a spare; if not, that's where it goes. 

Those horn buttons are similar (or identical) to a Lucas part used on many British cars from late 50s into the 70s...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2023 at 9:57 AM, TobyB said:

I would use loctite

I would not use Loctite. At least not yet. 

I just installed the same Momo wheel and have had it on and off several times. 

I ran into a problem with the spring loaded horn contact. I needed to wrap the brass contact with a couple wraps of electrical tape so that it did not wobble in the cylinder. 

I also needed to take it on and off a couple times to get it properly aligned. But with six screws, the wheel is not coming off without noticing that the screws are loose.