• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the new Hazard Warning Switch ..... the adventure

OriginalOwner

The original Hazard Warning Switch "failed" 30-some years ago, was JB Weld'ed back together, and has been sitting there smiling at me since then, mounted next to the ash tray.

Well, a few weeks ago Maximillian had new switches for sale, so I figured why not.  Two Versions:  up to 1973 ..... then 1974 onward.  I of course ordered the 1974 version.  The difference between the two:  8 prongs for the 1973 and earlier ...... 6 prongs for the 1974 and later.

The new switch arrives a few days later.  I remove the original switch and try to plug in the new one for a quick test:  no go.  I look closer:  my original has 8 prongs !!!  Sheesh, my '74tii has a '73 switch in it with 8 prongs !!  Go figure, just my luck.

I contact Maximillian.  He says to return it and he will get the '73 into the mail.

The new '73 switch arrived an hour ago, it has 8 prongs.  It plugs right into the connector, then I hold my breath and push the red button ..... all the blinkers begin blinking !!!   WOW !!!  Just Like New !! 

So with minimal effort I then get the switch properly installed where it belongs.  

I hope the value of my '74tii will go up by at least $5K with a brand-new Hazard Switch that actually works.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 1

Carl, if you want to do a post-mortem on your old switch and possibly repair it as a backup, PM me for the column I wrote about troubleshooting those unnecessarily complicated switches...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike,

Thanks Much !!  No immediate plans to fix the original switch:  I actually bought a second new one from Maximillian, just because.

The original switch:  I had disassembled it a few times to understand the inner workings, and discovered the actual problem.  And I couldn't fix the actual problem (worn-out plastic).  So I simply got bored and let JB Weld "solve" the problem.

So if I need a project, I'll try again to fix it.

Cheers,

Carl