• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with re-installing suspension assembly

Eissmann
Go to solution Solved by Tdh,

I'm attempting to re-install my front suspension assembly after removing it for refreshing. I am having trouble balancing it on the floor jack.  It keeps tipping and sliding off the small round platform on my floor jack.  I think it would be easier if I had a transmission jack.   Can anyone recommend the best way to raise the suspension to can bolt it back in place?

Where is your engine while this is going on? Still in the car I assume? Supported in some way?

If your engine was out, the easiest way to do it is with a hoist and lift it into place. 

A floor jacks a pretty poor choice, its narrow and the lift saddle is small and usually wobbly.

Placing a board or piece of plywood will help but will still be wobbly/want to slide off, cant be helped, that little round jack saddle just too small and with struts installed and shifting around..... well

If a floor jack is all you have you will need to round up a couple of people to steady/guide the frame.

If solo, maybe slide wood blocks under the frame on each side as it goes up to keep stable going to need a few blocks

Put a ractchet strap around the struts to prevent shifting around changing CG balance point, they are your problem here.

Again two additional bodies to help is the easiest solution

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

The engine is still in the car, suspended by a hoist. I knew the floor jack was an iffy tool but thought it was worth a try anyway. Just got back from the rental store with a transmission jack.  I'll need to wait until more help arrives to keep struts from flopping around during install. Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I will let you know how it goes.....

• Solution

When doing this alone, I’d much prefer to set the subframe without the strut assemblies in place. I assume based on your comments you’ve already got them in place so not an option without removing them. 

• Like 2

what TDH said.  subframe without the struts is much easier.  it is just three bolts to take strut off.  

hang the struts in the towers, bolt up subframe, bolt bottom of struts back on.  done.

Edited by M3M3M3
  • Like 3

2xM3

I really appreciate the wisdom and knowledge shared here! I have removed the struts. Installing without them seems so obvious but every where I saw pictures of fully assembled suspension assemblies ready to install. I just assumed that was the way to do it.

It should be a breeze to install subframe with them removed.  

Now am waiting for my son to help me get the transmission jack out of my SUV. 

Edited by Eissmann
  • Like 3