• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distrbutor Orientation

KrisM
Go to solution Solved by Hans,

My distributor is 180* out compared to picts I see online. It points down and away from engine at #1 location. I confirmed TDC is correct with #1 cylinder by mark on camshaft gear and making sure #1 cylinder is at it's highest point.  There is also a notch on distributor when at TDC. Car runs fine, was going to tune timing and found this. Plug wires are correct and in order from #1.  I think this would be OK but wanted to get input from folks much smarter than me. Thanks.

20230617_125317.jpg

20230617_125139.jpg

• Solution

The dizzy/rotor can be anywhere, as long as the rotor tip is under the #1 plug wire on the cap, at TDC for #1 firing stroke (both #1 valves will be closed so rocker arms can be wiggled). And plug wires are in order.

In your case, as long as wires reach, prob best to keep vacuum pot off the valve cover. Lining up dizzy notch with rotor is a bonus. I don't rely on cam notch.

In this enlightened era, orientation doesn't matter, as long as it works for you and other consenting adults.

In your part of the country, though, you may find that enlightenment hasn't yet been attained...

t

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL