• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

…2002 Big Brake Kit…?

Ernie Bello

Price: $279

Description:

Hi All- Gauging potential interest in a Big Brake Kit for the front of a non-Tii 2002…? The kit for the Tii is under development . The Kit includes 2 new vented front rotors- 24mm thick, up from the solid 11mm oe, 256mm OD, up from approx 239mm, and 2 Remanufactured Ate 54 mm single-piston calipers- up from 48mm- to fit the rotors: very similar to e36 brake calipers…The rotors bolt on to the back of the hubs, the calipers bolt on to the spindle just like the original design… no adapters or spacers needed! You kneed to fabricate a “Tee” to merge the 2 oe brake pipes into a single inlet for the new calipers… suggest professional fabrication at a Hydraulic Fabricator.  >>>You need 15” rims to clear the new big brakes; although a few 14” rims will clear<<<.   I’m a BMWCCA member since 1974, Instructor since 1986, and. Vintage Racer since 1991. These Kits work! I’ve sold a few Kits and use one myself!   If interested, know that I’m out of town until June 18, availability early July.  Thanks for reading!  Ernie Bello 

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 3:48 PM, Ernie Bello said:
Price: $279

Description:

Hi All- Gauging potential interest in a Big Brake Kit for the front of a non-Tii 2002…? The kit for the Tii is under development . The Kit includes 2 new vented front rotors- 24mm thick, up from the solid 11mm oe, 256mm OD, up from approx 239mm, and 2 Remanufactured Ate 54 mm single-piston calipers- up from 48mm- to fit the rotors: very similar to e36 brake calipers…The rotors bolt on to the back of the hubs, the calipers bolt on to the spindle just like the original design… no adapters or spacers needed! You kneed to fabricate a “Tee” to merge the 2 oe brake pipes into a single inlet for the new calipers… suggest professional fabrication at a Hydraulic Fabricator.  >>>You need 15” rims to clear the new big brakes; although a few 14” rims will clear<<<.   I’m a BMWCCA member since 1974, Instructor since 1986, and. Vintage Racer since 1991. These Kits work! I’ve sold a few Kits and use one myself!   If interested, know that I’m out of town until June 18, availability early July.  Thanks for reading!  Ernie Bello 

Ernie, 

Would there be an issue with upgrading to an E21 master cylinder? That would remove the issue with the two lines and needing to fabricate a tee. 

Can you provide some pics of the kit installed? 

Thanks

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

RE Ernie Bello's Big Brake Kit:  Hi All- I'm back in town.  Clarifying a few items here...: (1) Yes, I believe the e21 Master cylinder would work well in this project: it simplifies the plumbing- fewer places to leak, and you end up with all new hydraulics. (2) This is a Correction: The Brake Calipers will be either Ate OR DAC- different brands, same application/fitment. They are single-piston calipers, 52mm diameter, NOT 54mm as I mistakenly posted before.  (3) The rotor thickness is still 24mm, but the diameter is 260mm, not 256mm like I posted earlier... My error. Old age is treacherous...!   (3) I have on hand enough parts & pieces for the first 3 kits at $279 per Kit, plus UPS/FedEx/USPS Shipping. Shipping should be approximately $35, depending on your Zip code...  Subsequent Kits will be $300 each plus Shipping.  Thanks!  Ernie Bello   ernie@bellomotorsport.com

Hello Mike-  I (finally) have the photos I promised. This is on my Vintage Race Car. Been on there for several seasons. Just installing new brake pads.  Let me know if any interest...?  Thanks!  Ernie