• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! 74 1602 rear crankshaft seal fitment issue

Ron C

Hello and thanks for reading and the help!  I’m working on my 1974 1602, 4 speed manual that I purchased 3 years ago.  I just recently pulled the 4 speed manual to replace the clutch and all was going well.  I’m replacing the flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate with a 215mm - the original was a 200mm.  Sourcing a new throw out beating has been challenging and I’m still working on that.  Here is where I’m stuck. I was replacing the rear crankshaft seal and CANNOT find a seal as thick as the original.  My micrometer is on the way out and I’ve ordered a new one but did confirm it’s several millimeters off - can’t remember the exact size number but will post photos.  I’ve searched the forums but can’t find where shins are available (online too) or a ticker seal.  The new one is 90x110x12 and is too shallow.  I’m at a loss other than having a custom shim made or finding the correct seal - which seems to not exist.  Any suggestions??? Thank you in advance.  Ron 

73107EAF-F3A7-4138-98F4-B758CA36C872.jpeg

00FFB222-5885-4AB2-B7E4-F0CC74132EDC.jpeg

3F0BBE30-E75C-4293-9B2E-75DF9F9E6653.jpeg

CAC77FED-7A61-4B72-9C70-9F3FC5CBD15B.png

3E70501F-CC36-47AE-8B81-9D3B7CC4A60D.jpeg

With the narrower seal. you can place it in the rear seal housing where it won't ride in the same place on the crankshaft as the original.    Usually there is a slight marking on the crank seal surface where the original  sat.      This allows a new clean surface for the new seal to contact     Where ever you put the seal in the housing, it will not "walk" either way

Thanks, Rick

Thanks Rick, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I’ve read the horror stories of buttoning everything back up only to have the seal leak.  I’ll be sure to follow your advice.  This project is making my M3 subframe drop a piece of cake in comparison.  Still, I love the 2002s.