• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block Head

Art

After doing some research here  It sounds like I might be able to use a '72 121 TI head on a '79 E21 M10?  The 121 TI head would allow me to avoid the reversed distributor gearing but I will need to sort out miss matched engine mounts? The E21 is a 2.0 L and all other parts, intake, manifold, distributor are from two other 2.0  L M10's via a couple of 2002's.  I am only considering this because the E21 engine ran before it was removed, it turns over by hand and you guessed it,  dirt cheap.  Also, M10's from 2002,s are not easy to find in my locale.  

E21s used the same camshaft as  02s up to Sept 79,  you may be good.

If required,  install an 02 camshaft into the 2L E21 engine, an electric fuel  pump and run that dirt cheap sucker.

unless the 121 Ti head is fresh, pressure tested and ready to go, even then, it’s more work/disassembly/ reassembly.

02 engine mount brackets will bolt right up to it so no problem there

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Sure- if the head on the E21 engine says E21, the cam ought to accept the 2002 distributor.

Otherwise, it'll say 1.8i, and you can use the E21 distributor and electronic ignition if you have it.

You can even swap in a 2002 cam (with matched rockers from that head) into the 1.8i head, 

if you really want to.

Then change the oil pan and pump pickup, and off you go, easy- peasy.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL