• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem installing Golf rear disk brakes

Georges
Go to solution Solved by PhilC,

I just installed the VW Golf MK3 rear disks brakes from Blunt. Is there a trick to get the handbrake part of the brakes to release? The cable is slack but the brakes refuse to release. It could be the brakes themselves won't release. Also I'm using a Lokar aftermarket brake cable so it looks a little different in the picture. Thanks!

golf1.jpg

golf 5.jpg

golf3.jpg

golf2.jpg

engine small.jpg

6 hours ago, PhilC said:

There should be a big spring, I can’t see it in your pics? This is a Mk4 caliper but basically the same.

6AB4FC6F-0D7D-45DE-AE99-E790CAF56CB8.thumb.jpeg.9ad329c4cfc9e783702ba165aff66702.jpeg

I think Phil is right. I don't have a spring. An image I found online of a pair of calipers for the stock Golf shows it. The odd thing is that Blunt's site doesn't show the spring although it is hard to see.

ooqhl8texytbmct48gtc.jpg
WWW.BLUNTTECH.COM

Our rear disc brake conversion kit for the 2002 is comprised of MK3 VW calipers, and VW rabbit rotors. Includes custom cut adapter plates and ebrake brackets as well as mounting hardware. Requires machining of rear hubs for installation.

golf 6.png

Edited by Georges

engine small.jpg

Blunt was using some wrong part numbers for the VW kit but he has stood behind his product and quickly corrected the other parts that were incorrect.

Speaking of good service, I ordered the handbrake cable from Speedway Motors (I'm using a Lokar handbrake). I paid for standard shipping but the order was two days late. Without my prompting they reimbursed me for shipping! 

Edited by Georges

engine small.jpg