• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outer floor pan member rust repair

dclowd9901
Go to solution Solved by HobieDog,

I’m currently stripping down my car. While it seems a steady oil leak probably saved my floor pans themselves, these outer areas here are rusted through. 

I’ve seen that you can buy parts of the floor pan assembly ad hoc. I’m just wondering which part numbers I’m looking for here, since the diagrams aren’t clear. 

And, while I’m sure you might mean well, I’m not interested in hearing from folks telling me to abandon. If I’m in over my head, that’s my problem, not yours. Just trying to head that off since I’ve seen in other rust posts this sentiment lobbed around quite a bit. 

09C1C64E-3717-4534-9858-C1BB10C89B69.jpeg

53D762C2-953B-48A6-A511-2769A8D5E943.jpeg

• Like 1

• Solution

Those are your rocker panels. I had to buy some along with a lot of other body sheet metal. For the rockers I found this pair from Bluntech to be the best value. 

you’ll see that the back of the rocker (after the door) actually goes inside and a seperate pieces comes down over the top. You’ll need that piece as well if yours is rusted. Wallothnesch is another great source and their diagrams will help you understand how things fit together. 

if that’s truly the extent of the rust your car is in really great shape!!  I’m saving one that’s 10x worse than that!  

sb9a2frt891qcddnjegu.jpg
WWW.BLUNTTECH.COM

Replacement rocker panel trim set from MVP. OE quality, E-coat primer ready for install. Sold as a pair...

• Like 2

Thanks Hobie!

I’ve already bought a new fascia from Wallothnesch, so I’ll head back to look for those diagrams and fill my credit card. Appreciate the point in the right direction. 

Most of the rust seems to be in my doors, the fenders, the fascia, and the underside of my spare tire basket. That’ll be a tricky one, but at least it’s not structural. 

Also be aware that the "true" outer rocker panels only extend to the trailing edge of the doors. Aft of the seam in the rocker panels at that point is actually part of the rear quarter panel.  The actual rocker panel dives beneath the quarter panel (not a great design), leaving a 3/8" gap between the two, and an ideal rust trap--exacerbated if you have a sunroof, as the rear sunroof drains lead into that area of the rocker panel, virtually guaranteeing rust-out.  There are patch panels available for that portion of the quarter panel if you need 'em.  

And also understand that the outer rockers aren't really structural; it's the inner rockers (visible inside the car as that vertical "step" at the door sill and beneath the rear quarter upholstery panels) whose rigidity is crucial to the car's structure.  When you cut away the rusted outer rockers, carefully inspect the now-revealed inner rockers for rust and weak spots; repair as necessary.   

If you're patient and can weld, almost any rust on an '02 can be repaired.  I think I welded on every panel on my '69 except the roof over 5 years of off-and-on refurbishing; looks great now.

Keep plugging away...

mike

the '69, Dec 2019.png

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If you're patient and can weld, almost any rust on an '02 can be repaired.  I think I welded on every panel on my '69 except the roof over 5 years of off-and-on refurbishing; looks great now.

great advice, and I thank you. I don’t have a sunroof, graciously, so I’m glad for that. I’ll address the other items you mentioned as I get in there. 

as far as patience goes, I built our entire kitchen, so I’m hoping that level of patience is what’s required (though I’m sure this project will be an even bigger test lol)

I've been reading here and watching videos on 02 specific rust repair. I figure as long as the car hasn't been crashed bad in the past and the whole car isn't rusting at an accelerated rate then its worth repairing. My 73 that i've had for 30+ years looks worse there but the front half, doors hinge posts floors frame are all good. Everywhere I park is uphill so maybe thats a good thing. It's going on the blocks prep for surgery for same as yours plus rear subframe mounts. 

I like this guys work, he has another video on the sill area

• Like 1

Not too far gone at all! Nice car and it will only be better.

Keep posting progress, love to watch it unfold.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

11 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

Not too far gone at all! Nice car and it will only be better.

Keep posting progress, love to watch it unfold.

~Jason

Very encouraged by people saying this. I'll be sure to post many pictures (as I've already taken hundreds during teardown). I'm planning on doing a full rotisserie resto with a chemical dip.

13 minutes ago, edgefinder said:

I've been reading here and watching videos on 02 specific rust repair. I figure as long as the car hasn't been crashed bad in the past and the whole car isn't rusting at an accelerated rate then its worth repairing. My 73 that i've had for 30+ years looks worse there but the front half, doors hinge posts floors frame are all good. Everywhere I park is uphill so maybe thats a good thing. It's going on the blocks prep for surgery for same as yours plus rear subframe mounts. 

Again, very encouraging news. I'll be sure to watch that video. Thankfully, I think we can all agree, there's no dearth of 2002 rust repair videos online.

8 hours ago, dclowd9901 said:

Thanks Hobie!

I’ve already bought a new fascia from Wallothnesch, so I’ll head back to look for those diagrams and fill my credit card. Appreciate the point in the right direction. 

Most of the rust seems to be in my doors, the fenders, the fascia, and the underside of my spare tire basket. That’ll be a tricky one, but at least it’s not structural. 

If the rust in the trunk is just in the spare tire well you may be interested in picking up this replacement piece. I found it to be the best price for that particular piece.  

There are other trunk panels available if it’s more extensive. Good luck! 

15 minutes ago, HobieDog said:

If the rust in the trunk is just in the spare tire well you may be interested in picking up this replacement piece. I found it to be the best price for that particular piece.  

There are other trunk panels available if it’s more extensive. Good luck! 

Oh wow, this’ll do nicely! No other damage back there