• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under-dash panel hardware

schuetz1619

Well, I probably don't have the proper name for these things (pictured), but I hope it's clear enough.

In the 32 years I've had my car the panels have never been mounted for lack of hardware (O.K., and lack of interest as well). I don't have a single piece of correct hardware for the mounting of a set of these panels, so I have no idea, other than what I can see in the provided Coupeking picture, of what is required, which appears to be 13 black screws, 13 black collars, and 13 threaded whats-a-muh-thingies.)

Would be grateful to purchase a complete set or to learn the quantity needed of each and the specs., in case they can be bought from a good hardware store.

Any help most appreciated!

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 10.02.56 AM.png

Very kind of you! Thanks.

I assume that the screws screw into the metal of the body, which must be theaded. But what are the thing-a-ma-jigs, the metal pieces that apparently push onto the panel edges and surroud the holes? Are these just to hold the screws in place as you  mount the panel or do they somehow help in securing the panel to the metal? How many are needed? Must some be used on the body metal.? Is here anything unusual/special  about the screws aside from color?

Thnaks again.

25 minutes ago, schuetz1619 said:

Very kind of you! Thanks.

I assume that the screws screw into the metal of the body, which must be theaded. But what are the thing-a-ma-jigs, the metal pieces that apparently push onto the panel edges and surroud the holes? Are these just to hold the screws in place as you  mount the panel or do they somehow help in securing the panel to the metal? How many are needed? Must some be used on the body metal.? Is here anything unusual/special  about the screws aside from color?

Thnaks again.

First I'll try to answer your screw question.  While I don't know the exact specs, below are pictures of the measurements of the screw you'll need.  They're all the same (at least on my 2002).  They are oval head screws w/ a dark brass finish.  A finishing washer is also used for each screw.  I could not finishing washers in anything but stainless, however I tried only Home Depot.

IMG_0709.JPEG

IMG_0710.JPEG

IMG_0712.JPEG

IMG_0713.JPEG

I call the thingamajigs u-nuts or screw clips.  It appears you need two sizes.  You can see the three larger ones (i measure 24mm x 16mm) which go on the panel below the steering wheel.  All the others I measure 15mm x 11mm.  Of course the screws will need to work with these as well, which the hardware store should be able to help you with.

The panels all basically attach to each other with overlaps except at the circled / arrowed locations in the below photos.

By the way in helping you with this I discovered that I'm missing the far right panel!  I never knew......

I need to run now but will check back later...hope this all helps.

IMG_0714.JPEG

IMG_0717.jpeg

IMG_0716.JPEG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, its55 said:

I call the thingamajigs u-nuts or screw clips.  It appears you need two sizes.  You can see the three larger ones (i measure 24mm x 16mm) which go on the panel below the steering wheel.  All the others I measure 15mm x 11mm.  Of course the screws will need to work with these as well, which the hardware store should be able to help you with.

The panels all basically attach to each other with overlaps except at the circled / arrowed locations in the below photos.

By the way in helping you with this I discovered that I'm missing the far right panel!  I never knew......

I need to run now but will check back later...hope this all helps.

IMG_0714.JPEG

IMG_0717.jpeg

IMG_0716.JPEG

Thank you so much. I think I can take it from here. The Dorman screws recommended by others appear to be larger in dianmeter han the original (i.e., the picture you sent) but fine in length. Your screw appears to be a #6, and the Dormans are #8. If I can get #8 screw clis, which I imagine are everywhere, ll will be good. Thank you again!

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all respondents. I got the Dorman screws, but the thingamajigs appear to be unobtainium.

They're called "speed nuts" and are used extensively in auto body work. But no one I've talked to has ever seen them in these sizes (10 x 16 mm and 16 x 24 mm, both for M4 [SAE 8] screws). My local BMW dealership does not recognize them and there are no part numbers in the book. 

Size matters because the speed nut air gap must be wider than the panel is think, and the hole in the nut must be able to center on the hole in the panel.

Anyone have old ones to sell or know where new might be had?

Many thanks.