• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake caliper piston install

Pablo M

11 hours ago, dlacey said:

Use

Any silicone based grease (vacuum grease, dielectric grease, etc) or anything miscible with brake fluid - e.g. castor oil (medicinal/cosmetic grade) is one of the ingredients of traditional brake grease and will work fine.

Don't use brake fluid, as the fluid trapped above the seal and below the dust cover will corrode the caliper bore.

So Silicone caliper grease would work then? That's readily available. Sil-Glyde mentioned above isnt available locally but I others are. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Yes!  At this rate, an order of Sil Glide from Amazon would arrive before this is resolved😆

The seals in an automotive brake system are compounded to be resistant to "vegetable" based brake fluids ( glycerin, alcohol and additives) Thy dont like and were not compounded to resist minereral based lubricants.

Anything mentioned above would work, I use Dow Corning 4, a dielectric grease cause I have 2 tubes of it laying around.

In a pinch, to avoid a trip to town I would use Crisco shortening, but not the butter flavored stuff.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris