• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM Door Seals

Luke's02

I am looking for some oem door seals as I have tried using an older set of URO seals and the rubber is too hard, and my doors wont close properly. I heard somewhere a while back that URO was changing their seals to be softer but I cant find any information about it. Has anyone had any luck using newer URO door seals?

Edited by Luke's02
typo

This issue has been the single most challenging part of my 2002 ownership. I also have ill-fitting seals. Even using the OEM product, in the best of times, installation is agonizing. How much more so the knock-off, which I've now now reinstalled several times with little success. Here is a better-than-nothing solution for the meantime, until the OEM supplier decides to go into work & do their job: Check on McMaster Carr's website for a similarly shaped seal. I was able to find one that worked pretty well & of course it was super soft rubber and cost pennies on the dollar so you have noting to lose. Obviously, it's not going to make a sharp 90˚ turn like the factory, but it's not as bad as you'd think. It will not completely keep out a downpour & you'll still have a bit a wind noise but at least you can drive your car in most conditions so you aren't stuck in the meantime. 

If I were URO, I'd make these at 50% durometer, or even less. Even if they wear out in 5 or 6 years, it's still worth it if they are cheap, and soft. Softness makes them easier to install & more compliant with the door openings. 

Absolutely. I didn't think of that because I'm not very wise. That would help a bit. The OEM seal profile is obviously very complex and so I think there's at least one ridge or fold that is not accounted for on the profile that I located as a replacement. So that also is going to be a factor in the wind noise. All in all, not a perfect solution, but a decent Band-Aid repair