• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TRADE? - E21 Recaros for Original '76 Seats

bweelr

Price: $1

Description:

Putting a feeler out there to explore options... I recently bought a '76 that has beautiful, black E21 Recaros.  They're lovely but I want to bring the car back to completely stock condition.  If anyone has a pair of black vinyl, year correct '76 seats in TRULY EXCELLENT condition (no restoration/reupholstery needed) and would consider trading for Recaros, let me know and we can talk details, pictures, deal, etc.

Thanks,
Brian

Recaros.jpg

Edited by bweelr

On 12/8/2022 at 3:04 PM, AceAndrew said:

I had to do a double, then triple take to make sure I got the order of operations correct on this.

Jeez, someone’s going to get a nice set of recaros.

That's right. Not all of us are Recaro lovers. In my opinion they just don't look right in an 02. They appear too tall and bulky up top in the very open 02 greenhouse. And, they are a bit narrow, even for a skinnier frame.  I think restoring a set of original BMW seats correctly costs a lot more than restoring Recaros. The original horsehair pads are really expensive. 90% of the upholstery work I've seen over the past 40 years is sub-standard, done with cheap foam pads and incorrect vinyl. I keep an old set of 1967-68 vintage seats with original toasty pads and toasty vinyl as a reminder of what the factory seat should look like. My theory is that these seats were lightly used, but left out in the Southern California sun for years where they toasted in their original shape. If I tried using them, they would probably fall apart quickly. So, I can only look at them. The vinyl was molded, not stitched. And, upholstery shops can't replicate that. They are not motivated to take the time and get the geometry correct either. They just produce vinyl blobs resembling original seats. And, that's it. Well, I imagine there are the very high end  upholstery shops who can do it correctly or come close, but for big $$$$$$$. I grabbed these 1600-2 buckets at the salvage yard during the mid-90s for $12 each.They were charging a couple of dollars more for recliners. I couldn't help noticing the impeccable shape of the sheet metal on the Manilla 1600 from which I removed these seats. The salvage yard owner first offered me the car for $500 with the salvage title. I often wonder what happened to that car. It probably met its demise in the crusher which was operating at the yard. It was sad seeing that crusher at work.

Good Luck !

1600 Seat-1.jpg

1600 Seat-2.jpg

1600 Seat-3.jpg

1600 Seat-6.jpg

Edited by Alexei