• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More oil pan

Hans

Use the c-clamp on the bolt head ( a nut works too but the bolt is held in place thru the hole) to push the pan towards the socket placed on the normally bolt head side.

A vise would work, but you might need more hands.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

23 hours ago, Eissmann said:

This worked for me...

559410061_oilpanflangecclamp.thumb.jpeg.2b753a925353a75d7d7ea0ce8828184d.jpeg

I thought the dimple around the hole (so to speak) would bulge upward in your photo. If so, and assuming you are using the solid end of the socket, how does the square  drive hole contact the bolt  hole? What's in the duct tape? And C- clamp will move it?

Edited by Hans

On 7/23/2022 at 10:45 AM, Hans said:

I thought the dimple around the hole (so to speak) would bulge upward in your photo. If so, and assuming you are using the solid end of the socket, how does the square  drive hole contact the bolt  hole? What's in the duct tape? And C- clamp will move it?

I used two sockets with about the same dimension as the dimple created by the bolt. The square drive hole was centered over the bolt hole. I used the duct tape like a third hand to hold one socket in place on the c-clamp while tightening.

Edited by Eissmann
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Eissmann said:

I used two sockets with about the same dimension as the dimple created by the bolt. The square drive hole was centered over the bolt hole. I used the duct tape like a third hand to hold one socket in place on the c-clamp while tightening.

So the square hole was smaller than the bolt hole?

Your are over thinking it.  The c-clamp method is a hall of a lot more precise than a hammer!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 7/24/2022 at 9:26 PM, jimk said:

Your are over thinking it.  The c-clamp method is a hall of a lot more precise than a hammer!

I'm fine with the c-clamp. I'm thinking about applying even contact on the bolt hole edge with a 3/8 square hole.