• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breather Hose to Square Weber Filter - Quick Question

Quick Question..

I'm sure that the answer to this question is more than likely in the forums, just being a little lazy and asking a quick question here....

I need a breather hose from the valve cover to the small white 90 degree fitting on a standard "square Weber 32/36 air filter" ..

does anyone know the size, name of hose maker, etc. of such hose ?

I checked but many of the answers lead to an OEM short piece from the valve cover to a stock air filter, I need a longer piece from the valve cover to the small white fitting on my 32/36...

A reply would be greatly appreciated.

Larry_in_socal

1 hour ago, larry_in_socal said:

A reply would be greatly appreciated.

Larry:

Can you take the white 90 degree fitting to the auto parts store and match it to an appropriately sized rubber hose?  Nothing special about that hose.  I think I ended up with heater hose.

Mark92131

File Aug 06, 5 39 01 PM.jpeg

Edited by Mark92131
Picture
  • Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Unfortunately, there isn't one quick answer because you are departing from (and improving on IMO) the stock configuration with a 32/36.  Most of the US '02s were pretty choked down with emissions junk from the factory, and that includes the control crankcase emissions.  As the previous poster stated, you will need to source something from your local parts store for the connection, and the OD of your white elbow might be different from the OD of the valve cover port.  You might two different types of tubing and a reducer.  What comes out of the valve cover port will be a combination of oil/oil vapor, water vapor, and combustion gases; it will vary depending upon the condition of the engine, the weather, etc.  Since the tubing will be exposed to oil, I recommend using an emissions specific tubing, or at least a fuel line (thinner walled, so prone to collapse over time, especially where curved).  With a simple tubing connection to the air cleaner, you are piping everything to the carb.  I have an oil catch can in line with mine to collect liquids.  What I collect is mostly water, and it collects much faster in the winter.  Check the archives for other solutions for bypassing the factory crankcase emissions system.

Yeah,

what Sam said.  5/8" fits the valve cover, but those nipples on

the carbs are usually 3/8".

I've also found that the longer and bigger

you make that hose, the less oil

gets into the air cleaner, especially if you can get the hose to

route up from the valve cover.  Makes sense-

the engine displaces a small amount of (oil- laden) air each revolution,

but re- ingests a good percentage of it.  If that air is still in the hose, the oil

will go back in, too, as will any condensate and precipitate.

And yeah, the heater hose I use tends to break down after a few years.

It starts to sweat oil...

Haven't found a vapor hose- but modern cars use a LOT of it, so something

off a V8 X5 or similar might be adaptable.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

All,

thanks for the responses.. and the insight regarding length, etc. I'll hit up my local auto parts store and see what I can come up with. Now I know... the plastic 90 degree connector at the Weber is smaller then the valve cover outlet.. so I'll need to do some figuring out perhaps some sort of reducer, maybe a visit to pick- a part might serve me well.

For now just getting all the hoses to connect to something is a place to start.

Yea, adding a catch can will be something that I do down the line. but for now, I have a running engine, and I'm sort of stoked!!!.. still need to fine tune the distributor, dynamic time the engine and rebuild a different 32/36 that I know does not have warn shafts... waiting for some jets and carb rebuild kit to work on the car over the long weekend...

So now that the engine is running, my next task will be to get the clutch and brakes working, then new tires.. and hopefully in a few months (time and money...) I'm planning on having this car in a drive-able state. which is something that it hasn't done since 1990..

Small baby steps...

• Like 1