• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600GT

Milo

On 5/20/2022 at 4:07 PM, Fortlauderdalian said:

That’s crazy, I used to buy these for a $ 1.49 at the local junk yard back in the 80’s Why would anyone pay these hipster prices. 

Well, not $1.49, but I did answer an ad in the local Recyler publication during 1983-84 where a guy in Pasadena was selling two of them, one in Excellent shape in Granada red and a complete parts car in light green, all for $4,500. It was a good deal considering that was the price ceiling for a very clean Porsche 912 or a late 60s 911 short wheelbase in good condition. I wonder who purchased those cars.

And, now someone is asking $60k for this heap of rust ? $60k for a 1600Gt in good condition is still a lot of $$$$. But, you know, maybe some "Hipster" or "tech Yuppie" will be aroused enough to drop their not so hard earned $$$$ on just the name or "Patina", so that they can display it in their hanger, warehouse or gallery, as a conversation piece.

Many years back Jeff Ireland had a rolling shell of the Glas powered version sitting in his shop, completely painted and ready for drive train install. I don't recall what they were asking for it, but I think it was between $5K - $10K. The stock 1600Gt was capable of 120mph with the 1600ti motor and 3.64 diff. I wonder how fast it would be with a stock tii motor ?

I still have the mid 90s U-Pick Part salvage yard price list in my head. That yard was a goldmine. During the late 90s they acquired a Porsche 500 spyder Beck Replica. They didn't put it out in the yard, but were selling it complete for $7K. It was VW powered like most. In this case the builder opted to install a hand controlled dune buggy style throttle. I thought that was odd, but the car was complete and running. Back then Beck was selling his turn key kits for about $20K. The company was sold to some Yuppies in Malibu who immediately doubled the price tag to about $40K. I think they may be still selling them for about $60K. It's all gotten pretty ridiculous.

Edited by Milo

On 5/23/2022 at 4:52 PM, 333_Tii said:

Let's not be so hard on the "techies".  We aren't all so irresponsible lol.  Our money is indeed hard earned!

Ok ! Ok ! I also graduated from college way back when I used my 1600-2 as a commuter car, commuting to and from school 50 miles each day. And, I can tell you from personal experience that crawling under a greasy car and busting your knuckles while wrenching on an 02 is more of a man's job and physically more demanding and  harder than anything I've experienced at school or behind a key board. After working underneath my car for a day I'd feel as though I've been run over by a freight train the next day. And, that was at age 22. Now at 57 it's only gotten harder. School, though, takes more of a mental toll on a person, given all the politics and BS associated with academia.

The guy selling this car is trying to capitalize on all the hype and BS which has been partially driven by the Yuppies and the techies during the past 20 years. I wouldn't give him a penny for this heap of rust. He would have to pay me to take it off his hands. He's obviously taken a cue from Magnus Walker, the Porsche collector from Downtown LA who's also sold rust-bucket 912's  for $60K +. Some of these people ponder how they will sell and market their own feces. That's their mindset, how they can make a $$ off anything associated with them and / or their brand.

Edited by Milo

• 4 weeks later...