• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Quick Ratio Steering Box Kit - Who's using it?

M3This

I have my steering box apart since Im rebuilding the subframe and was wondering if its work doing IE's Quick Ratio kit and how hard it is to install or how much it would cost to get it installed. The other option is to buy a rebuilt factory ZF quick ratio kit online as they seems to around $1,100 to $1,200. 

Any feedback with experiences is appreciated. 

The real life answers are:

You cannot install it yourself.

It takes specialized knowledge to set the box up.

You need to find a place both qualified to do it, and willing to do it.

Because it's so labor intensive, most shops won't touch it.

I don't know of the kit you refer to, maybe show what you're seeing online to get a better estimation of difficulty.

Sorry if it's harsh, but you need to know the truth before committing. Try calling around to some machine shops in the area and see if there's one that will take it on, first.

Spoiler: unless it's a track car, it's a terrible idea. The effort to turn the wheel at slow speeds is surprisingly hard compared to stock. Really not fun parallel parking.

• Like 3

*Both Jeff Ireland and I have the QR kits installed in our race cars. I installed the kits using specialized tools and a jig to hold the steering shaft. I built five boxes, and I'm done. I can't charge enough to make it worth my time. Probably two days per box, start to finish.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Furry Camel said:

*Both Jeff Ireland and I have the QR kits installed in our race cars. I installed the kits using specialized tools and a jig to hold the steering shaft. I built five boxes, and I'm done. I can't charge enough to make it worth my time. Probably two days per box, start to finish.

so what your saying is to buy a rebuilt quick ratio ZF instead?

19 minutes ago, Furry Camel said:

The real life answers are:

You cannot install it yourself.

It takes specialized knowledge to set the box up.

You need to find a place both qualified to do it, and willing to do it.

Because it's so labor intensive, most shops won't touch it.

I don't know of the kit you refer to, maybe show what you're seeing online to get a better estimation of difficulty.

Sorry if it's harsh, but you need to know the truth before committing. Try calling around to some machine shops in the area and see if there's one that will take it on, first.

Spoiler: unless it's a track car, it's a terrible idea. The effort to turn the wheel at slow speeds is surprisingly hard compared to stock. Really not fun parallel parking.

kit in question 

These are so rare that they almost never come up for sale. A few have in the last few years, but in rebuildable condition, not rebuilt. Whoever bought the other three boxes I built for IE a few years ago, scored.

There's a big difference between putting new seals in an old box and giving it a paint job (refurbished, sort of), and completely rebuilding a box with new parts. New parts aren't available, which is why Jeff (IE) sent a QR core to South America to have it copied to sell as a kit. At least the IE kit gives the box new wear surfaces (worm, bearings and races, bushings). I'd rather have new parts as opposed to vintage parts if I'm going to stress the shit out of them. So an advertised rebuilt QR box, not using the IE kit is an oxymoron, unless someone squirled away all the NOS parts required and used those. Very unlikely.

So, a real rebuilt ZF 177 box, or a standard box with an IE properly installed, is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it (hint- considerably more than just one thousand dollars).They almost always go into a race car, since they are the ones willing to pay big $$$ for the right stuff.

• Like 1

Assume $2,500 or more for a usable quick ratio steering box. As @Furry Camel says, it will not have been overhauled and its history will largely be a mystery.

I am not familiar with the $1,000 to $1,200 ZF rebuilt quick ratio boxes — or is it an overhaul kit — to which you refer. Something doesn’t sound right there.  But note that the Ireland website appears to offer two kits: one which converts a standard steering box into a quick ratio box, another which helps you rebuild a quick ratio box.

Listen to @Furry Camel!

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 minutes ago, M3This said:

Ok thanks for all the details. Since you no longer do it who would you recommend to reach out to?

Make some calls ... I had a local steering box rebuilder build one with the IE kit for a fair price, with no drama. Works well (so far). -KB

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Assume $2,500 or more for a usable quick ratio steering box. As @Furry Camel says, it will not have been overhauled and its history will largely be a mystery.

The box I saw was on EBay last summer and was just used and not rebuilt. I figured it wou dstill need to be rebuilt but not as extensively  as converting a standard box over. 

Based on everything Furry is saying it seems like buying the IE kit and converting my factory box is the best bet. But I have no idea who to reach out to, to do it since it sounds so specialized. 

Edited by M3This
  • Like 1