• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat bottom replacement vinyl '76

bavariaboy

It’s a slippery slope, Steve. World Upholstery and GAHH both, I believe, have/had navy blue molded vinyl for the 1974-76 seats (different from the pre-1974 molded vinyl). But… it’s not heat-seamed, so lacks the distinctive “line of squares” you see on your seats. My gut says that if you replace the seat bottom central section, you will have to replace the backrest central section, in order to avoid a discordant appearance. Assuming you keep your seat’s smooth vinyl bolsters, you’ll probably want to dye the seats to a single uniform color after you’ve installed the new central panels.

THEN what do you do? Do you make the passenger seat match the driver’s seat?

What my explanation should suggest is that all the separate, time-consuming steps taken to repair the seats quickly add up. Is it better to simply purchase the ready-made full seat covers to address your “minor” issue? I don’t know.

The minimalist approach would be to remove the seat bottom cover and have a reinforcing panel glued or sewed underneath the failing area. Maybe that, at least, buys you some time. Finding late (especially 1974-76) molded vinyl that retains strength and flexibility is a real challenge — more difficult, based on my personal experience, than finding pre-1974 molded vinyl in equivalent condition.

Best regards,

Steve C.

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I probably should add, Steve,

The deterioration of the underlying horsehair pads accelerates the deterioration of the seat covers because the cover suddenly lacks support and moves loosely over the “now-smaller” cushion.

Thus, I wouldn’t recommend even the minimalist repair approach over materially-deteriorated horsehair pads. You’ll need to replace the horsehair pad, even if that means with a foam rubber substitute. My suggestion of foam rubber is in no way an endorsement of it for ‘02 seat cushions! I simply recognize that not every ‘02 owner wants to spend, or can justify spending, $400 for a single horsehair cushion (there are two for each of the front seats, so four for a pair of front seats).

Best regards,

Steve C.

2 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

Right Charles, but as compelling as Steve's arguments are,  I will probably go with foam and new vinyl from World or another source. If I was only 50 instead of 80 I would not hesitate. 

Steve

Totally appreciated, Steve O.!

If someone asked me where they were most likely to spend “Porsche dollars” on a stock 2002, my answer would be….

Restoring stock seats authentically! ?

(e21 Recaro’s, recovered in leather, are a bargain by comparison! And they’re better after three hours on the road.)

Seriously… ?

Best regards,

Steve C.

Right Steve C.  At 50 I would not hesitate to pour "Porsche Dollars" into Lilli or my previous vintage BMW, my 74 Euro Coupe that I tracked all over the NE. I did not hesitate for a milla second to spend what it took. And all with the support of my wife, Karen, who said I treated the Coupe like an aging starlet.  It was Karen and my children who sent me to the track for the first time for my 50th birthday present. 

What in heaven's name did I do to deserve that. And I am an atheist.

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have just been through this process with my 1973 tii.  I punched a hole in the top of the rear seat back, saddle color,  with my thumb. I took it out and over to a local upholstery guy who has been in business for over 50 years.  At first he thought he had a roll of the fabric having remembered redoing seats from 1973.   It turned out he couldn't find that roll.   He literally would not touch it because there was no way to repair it.  The vinyl has a cloth backing that makes the idea of gluing it back together on top of a backer piece of vinyl infeasible.  I have attached photos of how it is made.  None of the new fabrics available from World or GAAH would be an exact match.  On a long shot, I posted a WTB ad on this forum's classified section.  Low and behold, doober2002 in Bridgeport, NY happened to have the exact match on a 1968 parts car.  Since my color and pattern was only used for 18 months between December 1971 and March 1973, I consider this to be a major miracle.  He sold it to me for a very reasonable $100.  I put it on my seat back.  Guess what.....perfect match to my original upholstery.  I would suggest you post at WTB in the parts wanted classified on this forum and maybe you will "get lucky" as they say.  Good luck.

IMG_9719.jpg

IMG_9721.jpg

• Like 1

Bill, great idea. I will post today. And as for your "miracle", I am booking a flight to the shrine to Our Lady of Fatima to bless myself with some its Holy Water.  Just kidding, born-again-atheist here.

That's a scary photo for all of us.

I will let you know.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve,

Interesting that you are a born again atheist.  I happen to be a born again Christian.  Hopefully we can agree that a good running and good looking '02 enhances life on this good earth by producing street legal endorphins whenever that tach approaches 4,500 RPM.  Best wishes in your quest to fix your seat.  

Bill

HI Steve

I actually have some replacement vinyl in navy and in good shape that I bought years ago but never used (its just the pleated portion and would need to be sewn in).  I also have some additional full seat vinyl that is in various degrees of shape that I saved when I redid my seats - I had been waiting for summer to pull it all out and inspect but would fine doing that now if you think you could use it.

None of this of course will solves your question of whether to do a full redo with an after market product (which was the route I took).  I also have some seat cushions as well... so let me know if you'd like to take a look and I'll get some pics for you

• Like 1

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Bill, I have friends and a sibling who are Christians like you. We agree to disagree, respect each other's beliefs and we all, to paraphrase Rodney King, "get along."  I wish more people were like you and me.  I also have a good friend who supports Donald Trump while I do not. We agree to disagree, listen to and respect each other's views. And we do agree on some points which builds even more respect for the other person.  We agree that we are not wrong in our beliefs, just that we do not agree with them.

Imagine if only a part of the rest of the world felt this way. "What a wonderful world it would be."

Steve 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Billsmith said:

… between December 1971 and March 1973…

IMG_9719.jpg

For the sake of the record, this style of molded vinyl was used from December 1971 until August 1973, the end of round taillight production.

I’d refer to it as “late round taillight” molded vinyl. “Early round taillight” vinyl is recognizable by the single molded “stitch” running down the heat-seamed valley (photo below).

Regards,

Steve

D6A4D449-9093-4907-A643-5AC068036EED.jpeg