• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Franz, my 73 2002, is back after a four month spa treatment

Jim_75Sahara

On my return trip from Saratoga Springs, NY in mid-October, I was startled by a bang, followed by very insistent clatter, clatter, click, clatter sounds from the engine. I quickly pulled over to the side of southbound I-71, (near Ashland, OH) I opened the hood to see what was wrong. There was nothing obvious to see, but the noise was disturbingly loud. I eventually got a tow through AAA and the car was left with Euro Classics in Dayton. I usually take my 02 to Reggie's Motor Works in Noblesville, IN, but that would have entailed a much longer tow. Anyhow, the diagnosis was a broken rocker arm. That was to be followed up with the finding that the cylinder head was cracked as well. My task: find a suitable E12 cylinder head. At first there were none to be found. Later on, my pal, Ray Daley, told me that he had two of them. His 73 Turkis 02 had also turned up with a cracked head. He was willing to sell me one, providing that the one he used was not rejected by the machine shop. So, I ended up buying his backup head. The machine shop told me that it too had a crack and they rejected it for use. Well, after consulting Mike Self, we took that head to another machine shop where it was welded successfully. I hauled it back to the original machine shop and told them to let me know if they were not going to accept it for the rebuild. No word for a long time.... About 10 days ago, I called Euro Classics and they informed me that when the weather improved and the salt was off of the roads, they were ready to test drive the car and make any needed final adjustments to the engine. Progress!

Two days ago, after some heavy-duty rainstorms followed by a gorgeous warm, dry day, I picked up my freshly washed and detailed 02 from Euro Classics.

That drive will have to hold me for a little while. I was busy with work the past two days and now we are in the midst of rain, sleet and snow once again. I am very happy, regardless.

IMG_1894.jpg

• Like 8

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz