• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Wheel 14”

Pete Obee

I’m not at all certain these are Alfa rims. The tire (first photo) is a 185/70 SR 13 Michelin ZX, a fairly common ‘02 size and obviously fitted to a 13” rim. My gut response is that it certainly looks like an Alpina steelie for ‘02’s, the steel rims manufactured by CMR for Alpina, and available in 5” and 5 1/2” widths:

The rim in the original poster’s photo has the 15 round, pucker-lipped cutouts characteristic of the Alpina steelies. Is the photo you’ve provided a photo of a rim that you actually own? If so, can you wire brush the rust and loose paint from the face of the center disk (second photo) to see if it’s stamped with identification markings?

And if you own the rim shown, have you actually mounted it on an ‘02? If so, did it fit the stud spacing exactly?

If it is an Alpina steelie, they are rare, in both the 5” and 5 1/2” widths. Start with a want to buy ad in the classifieds section of this forum.

And if it is an Alpina steelie, the center caps look like those shown in the third and fourth photos below. Forum member @pehlivanov_tii reproduces the original center caps:

Regards,

Steve

E5F060C9-1B9D-4424-BE45-D7D33CC5E30D.jpeg

BC16F0C2-F113-4875-9A40-1A09FE4DF198.jpeg

43BBC1E1-0FF9-4B45-8C7D-63A6ED2BF184.jpeg

6C7F767B-255F-45BF-A3FB-2BA5B5107E85.jpeg

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If you want a 14" BMW steel wheel, you can go to your local BMW dealer parts dept and order part # 36111178826  or to any aftermarket parts dealer(Blunt, FCP Euro, Turner Motorsports, etc.. ) and order a 14" steelie.  A rattlecan of silver wheel paint will do wonders to the looks. 

370941_x600.jpg
WWW.TURNERMOTORSPORT.COM

Genuine BMW 14" Steel Wheel

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Gordon and Steve, 

First of all thank you for this research. I apologize for delay in response.

Three of the wheels I posted came along with the car from the west coast. I have not tried to see if they fit. That might be the first step huh!:-) I will try the wire brush though for an I.d. as well. The BMW pics from both BMW and Turner do look like it is a match. 

Thanks Guys!

• Like 1

I suspect Gordon is simply suggesting the e30 steel rims because they give you about 80% of the appearance of Alpina steelies for about 25% of the price. And the e30 steel rims are readily available new — Alpina steelies have not been available new since ca. 1972. But the e30 steelies are 14” rims and you’re looking for a matching fourth 13” rim. 

By the by, rim sizes refer to the tire’s nominal inside diameter rather than to the overall dimensions of the rim. A 5 1/2” x 13” Alpina steel rim, for instance, has overall dimensions of approximately 6 1/2” x 14 1/4”. Alpina steelies — I’m guessing that’s what you have — are both rare and highly desirable. Since Alpina steelies were available in 5” and 5 1/2” widths, you’ll need to determine which width you already have. I’d guess 5 1/2” only because they’re more common than the 5” versions. If your rims are marked on the face, the size will be stamped into the rim. If not marked on the face, markings will likely be stamped into the outside of the barrel. Do yourself a favor: dismount and discard those old tires. This will allow you to see what you have. And… those tires are about 30 years past safe drive-ability! ?

Not that you have to read any of it, there is a lot of discussion of Alpina steelies, and their sister Borrani steelies — both manufactured by Costruzioni Meccaniche Rho (CMR) in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s. Here is just one of the too-long threads!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)