• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 2002 scores big on BAT

borgpj

4 hours ago, Autostrada said:

You may be right, or is it the color ?

And, then there are the wheels.

I remember the bottle cap and "+1" and "+2" wheel craze. At one point the bottle caps were commanding top dollar from wrecked new e30s duing the late 80s.  But, these wheels are "HEAVY". Add the equally "HEAVY" tires, and you've probably added 60lbs -100lbs to your car and all in unsprung weight. 

I remember way back when I took delivery of my car, complete with bottelkappen that a previous owner bought NEW through Alan Hardy's H&B in Berkeley to replace the original 4.5J x 13 steel wheels and wheel covers. By then, bottelkappen were ubiquitous and when I eventually moved on to a different style wheel when I could afford it, they were still worth next to nothing and I sold them locally to a FAQ member for a Nice Price.

I don't recall them being that "HEAVY", if one were to search this forum, the good ol' c.d. iesel said on several occasions that the 6Jx14 bottelkappen were 14.1 lbs vs the stock 5Jx13 steel wheel = 14.5 lbs

The only thing that was "HEAVY" was the steering, especially along with a smaller Nardi steering wheel

Those extra inches can add a little more weight once you mount the rubber. But I don't agree that would add 60-100 lbs to an 02 with that wheel change. More like 10 lbs at the most.