Another 2002 scores big on BAT

borgpj

Feels like a really big number for that car, but then, as always it's what someone is willing to pay on that day and that time.  Still, non-tii.....wow.  Wasn't that malaga 74tii with H&B wheels sold a year (two?) ago for roughly the same number? Good for the seller.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, markmac said:

Feels like a really big number for that car, but then, as always it's what someone is willing to pay on that day and that time.  Still, non-tii.....wow.  Wasn't that malaga 74tii with H&B wheels sold a year (two?) ago for roughly the same number? Good for the seller.

Initially went for like 71K 5 yrs ago which everyone thought was INSANE, so much so that there was a write-up in R&T I think. Resold a couple years later for 56K…

• Like 1

Truly surprised that it reached that number with the $25/each bottlecaps (I think they still go for this), aftermarket steering wheel and not-quite the right seats. These are all bolt on things so they are pretty easy to bring back to original, but still. The front valence may be harder to replace without some markings. Small things if the car is rust free and ticks the boxes of the new owner. But that is a lot of money. 

The upcoming brisbane show may have multi-million dollar valuation for all the cars together.

• Like 1

The folks with $$$ are splurging on classic cars during the pandemic while the majority are staring into the abyss. But some who are splurging are  doing so in a trivial and casual manner. It’s obvious the buyer has been sold on all the catchwords: Recaro sears, air dam, 5 speed conversion etc. Those bulbous Recaros look really ugly in that car. But, it must have been that overbuilt “ultimate” Top End strut brace which sent the buyer into a frenzy. Steve, at Top End, take notice. Your “Ultimate” brace has has been installed on the “Ultimate” priced 02. It’s another example of why I'm really getting tired of the BS associated with the 02 “Scene” after 40 years. And, the car wasn’t even equipped with a $1,000 steering wheel ? The buyer will probably bring this thing to some 02 gathering thinking he’s the “Shit”. Another reason to stay away from the events.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, esty said:

the seats look like LSB's to me which have taller bolsters & were typically used in Mercedes

You may be right, or is it the color ?

And, then there are the wheels.

I remember the bottle cap and "+1" and "+2" wheel craze. At one point the bottle caps were commanding top dollar from wrecked new e30s duing the late 80s.  But, these wheels are "HEAVY". Add the equally "HEAVY" tires, and you've probably added 60lbs -100lbs to your car and all in unsprung weight.