• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 BMW 2002

johnpeter

VIN 2780735: Manufactured December 1973 according to RealOEM.com.

An early 1974 tii, but the eBay listing makes no mention of “tii”, so I’m guessing the seller doesn’t recognize the value of those three lowercase letters.

An original Schwarz car? Only BMW Group Archives knows, and they’re closed for the year! But there are probably more Schwarz ‘02’s today than BMW ever manufactured! ?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My 74, VIN 2781801, is an original Schwarz.  Love the black, goes great with the diving boards!  Not sure the reserve but looks well maintained, garage kept.  I need another 02 for a daily driver.  

• Like 1

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

5 minutes ago, bavariaboy said:

02les, any more photos from the original auction?  If a respray, good or bad, how does that affect the price. Original Schwarz seems to be a rare color.

you didn't ask me but color changes, as long as they are complete don't seem to affect pricing...if it does, it's not much - example

• Like 1

@02Les, what did it sell for back in 16?  Is there a link?  How you know this I can only guess.  You track sales over the years?  Very impressive if so.  @bavariaboy, I have read and been told Schwarz is rare but don't really know.  Looking through years of auctions and ads, I can say that I can't recall ever seeing an original Schwarz (outside my own), they have all been resprays.  

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

@Charles in PA the car was 'reserve not met' at $10k in Feb 2016. Same Seller Ebayed it again a year later and the auction ended early (no price given).

@bavariaboyhere's a few more pics. It has just had a new coat of Schwarz. Car looked good accept for the trunk area pic (which suspiciously looks like Sienabraun under the black).

2780735 3d.jpg

2780735 3a.jpg

2780735 3f.jpg

2780735 3k.jpg

2780735 3n.jpg

2780735 3z.jpg

Edited by 02Les
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 8/11/2021 at 8:19 PM, bavariaboy said:

Charles, there is a chart with years and number of cars painted in all the colors available that year. Someone one here, esty perhaps or steve(conserv) or others might have a copy or know of it. 

But, caveat, this is what I remember. Beware of the memory.

Steve

There’s a chart. It has errors. But it’s a good start. It doesn’t have numbers. But it “rates” each color’s frequency. I agree 100% on some of the frequency judgements. And I disagree 100% on a few of the frequency judgements.

BMW Group Archives knows the color of every ‘02 manufactured. But these records are largely handwritten. They have, thus far, been disinterested in digitizing the ‘02 records. But they possess the raw data to determine the frequency and timing of each color. Just imagine how cool that would be! ?

Best regards,

Steve C.

A beautiful and comprehensive re-paint in a “more desirable” color probably increases value. A cheap paint job in a “less desirable” color probably hurts value. I’ll leave it to others to determine the various colors’ “desirability”, a judgement which, no doubt, changes over time! ??

Here’s one of my personal journeys:

1975 = loved Sienabraun

1985 = hated Sienabraun

1995 = forgot Sienabraun existed

2005 = saw a Sienabraun ‘02 and remembered it existed, not certain what to think

2015 = loved Sienabraun

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1