• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ti Valve Covers Finishes

Hi Ti Friends.

Rookie question here, and my apologies but I have not been able to find definitive info on this in my searching.

Valve covers on Ti's, I imagine were all unfinished from the factory as all M10s were, correct?

I only ask because i have seen photos of a few Ti's that are powder coated black, as that in my car is.

Just wondering if there is some off chance this was a Ti thing, but my gut says no, in which case i would like to remove the finish.

Maybe the black was an Alpina inspired mod for some folks?

Thank you!

Edited by jazz_and_bimmers

1970 2002 Ti (Colorado)

1973 3.0csi (Fjord)

1984 M635csi (Anthrazit Metallic) - 1994 850ci (Schwartz)

1982 e28 m30 4.0 build (Balticblau) -1987 528e (Burgundrot)

I went the lazy route and got a nice valve cover, correct date and all, from a local FAQer.  The powder coat on mine was well done, so I decided to just keep it as is.  Bead or vapor blasting would probably work well though.

• Like 1

1971 2002ti

• 4 months later...

Thank you Steve - your ears must have been ringing! Coupe needs a good tune, don't want her to get jealous of the Ti.

1970 2002 Ti (Colorado)

1973 3.0csi (Fjord)

1984 M635csi (Anthrazit Metallic) - 1994 850ci (Schwartz)

1982 e28 m30 4.0 build (Balticblau) -1987 528e (Burgundrot)

• 4 months later...

I would source another cover, mine is black too but I was loathe to polish and clearcote one again. I did it once around 2006, even though I drive 1000 miles a year, after a few years the clearcote was going dull...so put the black back on...no, not original but I have webers as well...

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

• 2 months later...