• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Cylinder Lock Dust Flap Repair

RMBaiada

Does anyone know of a locksmith in the US who could repair the dust cover spring for the dust cover flap that covers the key slot on the door handle of my 1974 BMW 2002? On my drivers door lock, the little dust cover door flops back and forth.

I have tried the local locksmiths in Denver and Huntington Beach with no luck.

Stay safe.

Michael

Cell - (303) 521-6047

RMBMisc@Baiada.com

I'm in San Diego and I had Busy Bees Locksmith do the re-key on my 2002.  They have a guy that focuses on older cars and motorcycles.  

You would want to bring them the door handle separate from the car.  

The lock comes apart pretty easily if you're feeling adventurous. Here's a how to: 
http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/doorlocks/doorlocks.html

Edited by Shawn Piper

Does anyone know where I can purchase just a new door lock cylinder and the correct part number? RogersTii has the complete handle, but I want just the door lock cylinder.

My plan to repair the driver side door lock dust cover spring is to buy a new cylinder, rekey it to my current key and then install it.

Stay safe.

Michael

Cell - (303) 521-6047

RMBMisc@Baiada.com

I did find a lock cylinder at BMW 2002 Door Lock Cylinder - Guaranteed Genuine BMW Parts, but, although it is labeled as a door lock cylinder, when I search the part number shown (51245476145), it comes back as a trunk lock cylinder.

Does anyone know if the door lock and trunk lock cylinders the same. In other words, can I buy a trunk lock cylinder, rekey it and use it in the door handle?

Stay safe.

Michael

Cell - (303) 521-6047

RMBMisc@Baiada.com