• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scam Alert in Forum

jazz_and_bimmers

I had the same problem with these guys last year on my forum.  I manually activate accounts because of the high number of spam accounts so it gives me a chance to check out the user a little bit.  Steve may get too many new accounts to do it manually but it's worth it for me.  They use very generic email addresses that usually have a number after a name, and quite a few times I was able to find other sites that they had scammed by doing an internet search.  A couple of them came up on this site.

At one point they were able to register and VALIDATE their own account, which scared the hell out of me.  I posted warnings all over the site and started checking every way possible they could do that, not finding anything with the software I use or other known problems online.  Then I got lucky when one of their messages said they posted via Tapatalk.  I had it installed on my site and a small number of users really liked it, but as soon as I disabled it the problem went away.  Maybe I had an old version, not sure, but it's gone and I haven't had any issues since.

The best thing everyone can do is pay attention to things that don't feel right and report it to Steve.  He needs to know every time something like this happens.

• Like 1