• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with rust repair

Russ Keller

I have three areas that I need guidance on.

First the drivers front frame rail that extends from underneath the drivers floorboard.

It looks like brake fluid and automotive lifts have taken their toll and it's pretty beat up.

I live in Wake Forest, NC and am looking for advice on repair and recommendations on people who do this type of repair in NC around Raleigh.

drivers front frame rail.jpg

underside 1.jpg

Edited by Russ Keller

Looks like that frame rail has already been repaired. Depending on how bad the rust is, just cut the rusted section and weld a piece of sheet metal to replace it. The other option would be to replace the frame rail, but that involves a lot more work and expense. New frame rails are available from Restoration Design and Walloth & Nesh

• Like 1

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

20 minutes ago, Russ Keller said:

underside 1.jpg

As Cruzr mentioned, that frame rail has been patched with a plate welded to the bottom.  If the other side also has that feature  you might want to replace both sides while the subframe is out.  I'm guessing it's time for new new frame rails, as well as a bit of the surrounding metal; based on the patch to the behind the wheel well.

While the subframe is out, you can flip the driver's side tie rod over.  The end with a crook goes at the center link end, to give clearance for the steering box connection.

I think I'd find another route for the battery cable.  It's a little scary running through the pedal box, with moving parts that could rub through the insulation.

Tom

• Like 1

Thank you for that advice.  I'll be flipping that tie rod over right away.

As far as the rest goes:

It's sounding like an engine removal, and a car cradle maneuver.

I would rather do it right and be done with it.

Most of that I can probably do with a cut-off wheel a mig, air hose and parts.

Still would be happy to pay for experienced help if anyone is in the area.

Wake Forest, NC

Edited by Russ Keller
typo