• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mintgrun original paint -- $15k

Dug Nichols

Price: $15000

Description:

Hey friends!

I'm seriously considering selling my Mintgrun, and thought I'd post about it here before going elsewhere. It's been to many BA02 shows and drives, twice to MidAmerica, and I've driven it all over the country. You may have seen it in person at some point in time. I'm the third owner for this car, and bought it in 2002 in Palo Alto CA, where it had lived it's entire life, mostly with the owner I bought it from who purchased it two years old. It's always been a garage kept driver car. I bought it with an odometer stating 72k miles and service records showing it had flipped twice. It's had exactly one accident in it's life, with a light tap to the driver side door. This was repaired, but not a great job of repair, and you can see the flaw in the paint when up close. The rest of the car is all original paint, and it still shines up nicely with a fresh wash and wax. Most of it's life was in the Bay Area, and since we moved to MN it's been a strictly summer car, so it is as rust-free as an original never painted, but regularly driven car will be. It's "dialed" for fun spirited driving but very comfortable around town as well. It has been well maintained throughout it's life, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere, no matter the distance.

Some details about the upgrades / pros about this car :

• original paint
  • original golde sunroof with deflector (very rare in the U.S.)
  • all original glass other than windshield
  • recaros up front with matching rear seat, done to match original 74 - 76 tan interior
  • cocomats
  • converted to euro-bumper look
  • 320is steering wheel
  • IE Stage 1 springs
  • 22m/19m sway bars, poly bushings
  • IE fixed camber plates
  • re-cored radiator (has never overheated/run warm)
  • 5 speed w/ a 3.64 rear diff & new clutch/slave etc done in 2015
  • IE shortshifter
  • pertronix
  • weber 36
  • Octavo 100 wheels with 185/70 Yokohama's with lots of treadlife
  • ansa sport exhaust

And here are some things that would be considered cons or to-do's:

• the steering box is worn causing an ever so slight stiff return-to-center (I've been driving it this way for years but it was overtightened at some point and can't be adjusted correctly)
  • there is a knock sound from the engine at idle, when it's cold. disappears at any rpm over about 1300. not noticeable when the car is warm. been this way for many years.
  • 2nd gear syncro is a little worn. sometimes it's not noticeable  at all, other times you can tell
  • the car has a 1974 title and numbers
  • passenger side grab handle is ripped
  • headliner is original and has a small tear above the driver's head. otherwise good shape but shows age
  • odometer is non-op. I attempted a repair but it didn't last

Folder full of photos is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1W4lSmzwIQ1PNHEvhTreeR-AbXaN6VM1p?usp=sharing

I've been on the fence about keeping vs selling this car, as I've put a ton of hours into it and absolutely love it, but for a variety of reasons am landing on the sell side and the timing is this summer. I've got a daughter starting college in the Fall | this mintgrun is "done" for me in terms of what I'd do to it next | I bought a '73 a couple years ago which is my new project | I don't really have good space to continually garage two cars. All are adding up to it's time to sell it.

I've done a large chunk of the maintenance and upgrades myself, so have a lot of history of the car and can speak to it knowledgeably and honestly.

Hit me up if you are interested or know someone who might be. It's an awesome car that is ready to go anywhere as is, and could be someone's new project to make their own as well. I think the price is fair/good given everything about it, but would be interested in others' opinions here too.

Cheers,

Dug

Edited by otto
  • Like 1

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Looks nice!

When I lived in the bay area (Los Gatos/Saratoga) I used to park my '73 next to a mintgun just like this one. This was in 2000-2003 timeframe and so I wonder if it was the same car. He had a kermit the frog toy in the back window. ?

Good luck with sale!

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

On 6/17/2020 at 6:31 PM, esty said:

what's the con about the 1974 title and numbers ?

I had the same question as esty, but the car appears to be a 1976 model:

1. Windshield washer reservoir mounted above brake booster (a 1975-76 feature)

2. No riveted-on VIN tag on right front inner fender; replaced by the factory with the tire pressure sticker (a February to May 1976 oddity)

3. 1976-style original-parts (black-on-orange) sticker (an October-ish 1975 through June 1976 feature)

If it’s titled as a ‘74, an owner can either (a.) endeavor to correct the title, or (b.) register it in California! ?

GLWS,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

@JsnPpp I lived in Palo Alto and then Redwood City, commuting to Mountain View. I didn't have a kermit in the back, so must have been another minty!

Everyone, thanks for the questions and the DM's expressing interest. I have gotten some major pushback from my family members about selling this car. I've been able to convince my wife (even though she planned to bury me in this car, or, use as a ticket to finding her next man). But just barely. The daughters however think I'm nuts, and would be really sad. I let my eldest drive it sometimes, and they are both very attached. Their rationale is that I should sell the newly acquired '73, vs the beloved ("and waaaaaay cooler looking, Dad") Mintgrun. 

For now I'm going to adhere to their advice. The '73 is still getting some bodywork done, and until it's back and I've had more time to play with it and make a decision with both cars on hand, I'm going to back out of the selling process.

Sorry for the waste of time for those interested. 

Dug

• Like 3

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002