• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Under-dash panel

rufurt

I am trying to install the under dash panel the covers the steering column in my 1976 Automatic. I see the bracket attached to the steering column, and have read the panel screws into that. What I have noticed is that the holes on the panel are further apart the holes in the bracket. Only the passenger side panel hole to the bracket line up well. 

I have purchased a new panel and its hole match the original, so it doesn't seem to be a mistake. I seem to lack a bit of understanding on how the holes in the panel and bracket mate. 

Also, does the front of the panel go above or below the steering column cover (not the padded one). The original panel had clip on sheet metal nuts so that leads me to believe it goes above the cover and the screws go through the cover into the panel sheet metal nuts. It doesn't fit above the cover well at all. I am afraid I will break it if I force it. I have seen images of it both above and below the cover. Just wondering how it was originally. I can always transfer the clip-nuts to the cover and have the panel screw into it from below.

thanks,

1976 2002A

TIP:  Use an ice pick to line up a (panel) hole with the hole in the bracket.  Remove the ice pick and Insert a screw and only tighten a little.  Line up the other hole with the ice pick and insert the second screw.  You will likely find that the panel has slight distortion, thus the reason the holes did not line up easily.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

1 hour ago, John76 said:

Do you have the bracket in the right location?  It is mounter close to the firewall and the panel is tucked under the hard plastic steering wheel cover. Hope my picture helps with your project.

759033457_Steeringcolumnbracketlocation.thumb.png.2bc56f7ba5d94463e020f207bcf1f1d5.png

Great pic, that helps a lot. I can see that the panel distorts some. I was leery of bending the board to much as I don't want to break it

Did the other end of that panel go over or under the column cover?

Thanks

Edited by rufurt

1976 2002A

2 hours ago, rufurt said:

Did the other end of that panel go over or under the column cover?

The other end goes under the cover. Much easier to assemble all the under dash panels, then lastly attach the steering cover.

583840743_LastUnderDashPanel.thumb.jpg.76245215c0ea900295d81385188a19fe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2