• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing strut tube from steering knuckle

Marius

I have a 2002tii strut tube which is damaged just above where it enters the steering knuckle, has anybody removed the tube before or attempted replacing the tube. Main question actually is can it be done I would presume machining the knuckle to accept a new tube would be the answer, any ideas?

I think the simple answer is: place a WTB ad on here for a second hand strut and enjoy your life.

The complicated answer is: Yes you can replace the tube if you have the skills, tools and time.  This is safety critical so no half-assed work should apply.  

Cut the tube off the spindle casting and then chuck the spindle up in a 4 jaw chuck on a lathe so that the tube diameter is running concentric.  you can then carefully cut and bore out the remaining tube out of the casting, removing all of the existing weld and tube.  You then need to accurately set your new tube to the correct angle, pre-heat the casting with an oxy torch and the arc weld the new tube to the casting.  If you are anything less than an accomplished welder, used to welding dissimilar metals in critical applications then i would not bother.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

send them to KW or Bilstein if you're willing to spend some money for a good suspension. They replace the tube and convert to upsidedown coilover in the case of Bilstein. KW will even add negative camber (what Bilstein doesn't offer anymore as a service).

Edited by uai

Thankyou for all who replied, I think I got all the good and the bad, good being that its possible the bad news is what also bothers me as it is a critical safety component, I got the car 20 years ago and the bottom where it enters the steering knuckle if I can remember was torn after a collision, to tow the car I did a emergency repair and welded it to the steering knuckle, but I did not warm it up as Simeon correctly pointed out, but I towed the car over a distance of 1500 km without any fatique showing at the weld area. I have perfect front struts from my standard 2002 but would like to change it to the tii front spindles as I am rebuilding whole car with my donor tii. I think I will take Simeon approach and stick it in the lathe and clean it out and if the knuckle after careful inspection looks good I will try to insert new tube, and then I think I will also consider welding in a gusset between the tube and steering knuckle for extra support. But if any one has a right hand tii strut lying around please let me know, thanks again for the response guys appreciated, I think there will be many more as I am hopefully starting up my project after 20 years.

• Like 1