• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beltline trim repair or source for new pieces?

Djthom

On 3/5/2019 at 7:31 AM, AustrianVespaGuy said:

If you're not a purist, the 3M sticky-backed PVC chrome trim looks astonishingly good when carefully applied and of course is dirt cheap.  Won't help with any judging, so true restorationists please ignore, but if all you want is good looks with not dents/dings/scratches on a budget, this is really a great alternative.  I think I used the 12mm wide one which is just a tad narrower than the stock aluminum trim. Mine is even pushing 10 years old now. . .

IMG_20190305_102320.thumb.jpg.dae49ca82aa5a34f527a93aa2b0e8c1d.jpg

I have a buddy that bought a 76, he did not know that he had the peel and stick trim, I pointed it out to him. I'm torn on what to do when it's time to paint, peel and stick, or find replacement stuff. Cuz every one of my pieces has damage. I think a few may be able to bang out, some are just toast.......

1 hour ago, Doug Riparetti said:

I have a buddy that bought a 76, he did not know that he had the peel and stick trim, I pointed it out to him. I'm torn on what to do when it's time to paint, peel and stick, or find replacement stuff. Cuz every one of my pieces has damage. I think a few may be able to bang out, some are just toast.......

Doug, I applied my stick on trim and then sealed the holes from the inside using a scrape of white seam sealant in each case and where accessible. Should I ever decide to go back to aluminium trim, the holes can be easily poked clear of sealant so no harm done. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

5 hours ago, Simeon said:

Doug, I applied my stick on trim and then sealed the holes from the inside using a scrape of white seam sealant in each case and where accessible. Should I ever decide to go back to aluminium trim, the holes can be easily poked clear of sealant so no harm done. 

Hmmmmm.......  That's a GREAT idea. Thanks for the tip.....................   Salute'