• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN plates for steering column? FOUND FROM CARL NELSON

If you have a set of steel stamps they wouldn't be difficult to duplicate.  Cut out and drill the appropriately sized piece of aluminum, stamp the numbers (or have an engraving shop engrave 'em) and then do the paint around the edges--unless you have an early car where the aluminum tag was all natural (and the glare will drive you nuts--why it was painted on later cars).

Once stamped and painted, drill the old rivets out.  Then take new rivets, cut 'em off and glue the plate and cut-off rivets to the steering column trim.  I'd be leery of pop riveting new rivets on as it'll probably crack that 40-50 year old vinyl.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I got mine from Carl Nelson at http://www.bimmerdoc.com/ Give him a call at (858) 488-1555

His plates have the correct dimensions and rivet holes. If you have a gift store that does engraving, like the "Things Remembered" store that you find at some of the malls, they will help you pick the correct front and engrave the numbers for you.

Edited by Sal Savino

1968 BMW 2002    2003 BMW 325Ci    2013 BMW X5

2 hours ago, Sal Savino said:

I got mine from Carl Nelson at http://www.bimmerdoc.com/ Give him a call at (858) 488-1555

Nice to know--easier than making from scratch!

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite