pato2002

Exhaust Clearance on 5spd

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have found a couple photos but no old posts addressing clearance of the exhaust down pipe at the transmission support after a 5spd swap. No one in the Houston group had interference problems but my down pipe is contacting the trans support after I snugged up the bolts. Is this typical or do I have something crooked? New motor mounts and trans mount installed. Trans supports were welded to the tunnel at the recommended 80mm above frame rails (which also put the trans about 3-5mm from top of pounded tunnel). Driveshaft and giubo aligned with a few washers under the CSB mount. I marked the trans support where it appears a semicircle needs to be cut out but wanted to check with you guys prior to cutting. OEM downpipe (47mm OD) and cast manifold.

2019-01-11 18.52.05.jpg

The original one for a 4spd. I guess I either have some purchasing or cutting to do. Thanks.

I had to notch my shortened 4 speed transmission mount on the 73.  The bracket interfered with the exhaust (stock tii components).

Here is the original configuration using the 2002 Haus U-shaped bracket.  No interference with the exhaust.

2212010002.jpg

I changed the rear support in 2012

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6864.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

4 hours ago, jgerock said:

I had to notch my shortened 4 speed transmission mount on the 73.  The bracket interfered with the exhaust (stock tii components).

Here is the original configuration using the 2002 Haus U-shaped bracket.  No interference with the exhaust.

Man that looks tight tight tight! Just curious any rattling?

5 hours ago, 02tradition said:

Man that looks tight tight tight! Just curious any rattling?

None.  I even have stock engine mounts (and the e21 tranny mount).

• Like 1

(edited)

I ended fabricating a new trans support out of angle iron and with a semicircular cut for the exhaust. Bolted up nicely with 1/8-1/4” gap. Time will tell if it rattles but felt good when I tried wiggling it. I’ll post a photo later. Thanks for the support. 

E8F3D846-EDFD-4028-ADCA-41670534DFF1.jpeg

Edited by pato2002