• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Air ??

Flamingo 5

Which one? They make about 4 or 5 different models. 

Most people stick with an original evaporator that’s integrated into the centre console but it depends upon what your goals are. I am thinking of a trunk mounted system for instance. 

Check out the Old Air Products as well. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 hours ago, Simeon said:

Which one? They make about 4 or 5 different models. 

Most people stick with an original evaporator that’s integrated into the centre console but it depends upon what your goals are. I am thinking of a trunk mounted system for instance. 

Check out the Old Air Products as well. 

Which one ? Any of them.

my goal is to install the best

”kit” a/c I can find 

Nobody makes a ‘kit’ apart from ICE Air and Dtech and, as you probably know by now, neither is exactly problem free.

Whichever way you go, you will end up having to [engineer / finesse / integrate / bodge] anything that you do get. There are pages on this site just regarding condenser installation, before you get to the tricky part of an evaporator unit that actually fits and doesn’t look like it was installed by your Grandmother. Lot’s of good reading on the subject available through searching.

Someone linked to the Hack Mechanic book about vintage air con in the other thread - I thoroughly recommend that book (it wasn’t a joke). Read it and you will gain some wisdom. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

Saw this setup in a local car at our last event two weekends ago.

The owner says it cools really well with a Sanden compressor. He bought this evaporator on EBay.

Unfortunately, I didn't sit in the car to see how much it interferes with one's right leg on the driver's side.

Quito Morales AC.jpg

• Thanks 1

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

29 minutes ago, HarryPR said:

The owner says it cools really well with a Sanden compressor. He bought this evaporator on EBay.

Unfortunately, I didn't sit in the car to see how much it interferes with one's right leg on the driver's side.

Quito Morales AC.jpg

Is that a Dtech ?

1 hour ago, HarryPR said:

Quito Morales AC.jpg

This looks like it would be a better choice, the Clardy unit I have in my other o2 vents are not that great.

i tried to find but no luck

27 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

FWIW I ordered some parts from Vintage,  Some never came,  Got sick of calling and emailing,  The parts never came, no calls or emails returned.  Learned my lesson and moved on. 

Thanks for your time in offing a review.

how did you eventually add a/c ?

I got my own parts.  Sanden 508, parallel flow condenser, Spal(ish)  fan, the most important things are Hobbie Dave's bracket for the 508, and Rob's book.  I started with a Behr evap unit in my car, but all the rest was gone.  This is good because it would have likely been garbage.

Vintage air supplied the expansion valve and the adapters from a compression fitting on the Behr, to a modern o-ring style. You will need a #6 and #10,  and PM me if you can't find the copper seal washers. 

Also get the kit from Blunt for the seals and grommets for your heater box, because if you haven't done it , the box is likely cracked and the seals junk.  The reinforcing plate for the heater valve is really smart to do as well.  Take pictures, because it will take a lot longer than you think to do, especially if you test your heater core.  

Rob's Book

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Needs-Recharge-Mechanic-Conditioning/dp/0998950718

See my post here below, this is the plan that I went with,  I am waiting on a header so I can finalize the routing my hoses to the compressor and condenser.  The only addition is some heat shield for the hoses routed through the engine bay. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 12/14/2018 at 1:36 PM, Dudeland said:

I got my own parts.  Sanden 508, parallel flow condenser, Spal(ish)  fan, the most important things are Hobbie Dave's bracket for the 508, and Rob's book.  I started with a Behr evap unit in my car, but all the rest was gone.  This is good because it would have likely been garbage.

Vintage air supplied the expansion valve and the adapters from a compression fitting on the Behr, to a modern o-ring style. You will need a #6 and #10,  and PM me if you can't find the copper seal washers. 

Also get the kit from Blunt for the seals and grommets for your heater box, because if you haven't done it , the box is likely cracked and the seals junk.  The reinforcing plate for the heater valve is really smart to do as well.  Take pictures, because it will take a lot longer than you think to do, especially if you test your heater core.  

Rob's Book

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Needs-Recharge-Mechanic-Conditioning/dp/0998950718

See my post here below, this is the plan that I went with,  I am waiting on a header so I can finalize the routing my hoses to the compressor and condenser.  The only addition is some heat shield for the hoses routed through the engine bay. 

I deleted the heater 

If you did not have a heater,

would you have done things differently?

No heater definitely opens up the opportunity for an under dash unit. This is also a nice small unit. You can then use two of the outlets to direct air through the demist ducts. 

https://kalori.com/en/products/air-conditioning/evaporator/compact-evo2-klim-ed4/

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

This is a Ditec A/C conversion. I am almost finished with only solving the electrical attachment and charging the system. The center console was a bear to accommodate the Ditec unit. I modified the face panel to accept different air outlets, a hideaway cup holder and Pioneer unit with voice control. Had to make sure that the foldaway cup holder did not interfere with shifting.

IMG_0024.thumb.JPG.1fea041b0b9af0f463dc826d7465eabb.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG