• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Height for Lower Outside Beltline Trim?

First... is this lower beltline trim stock? For a '68 1600-2. I really don't see any of them on the google results images (See uploaded photo)

Second... After removing the paint from the quarter panel, I see there is another set of holes that someone covered up. Its uniformly done around the car, but would bring the trim to be higher than the rear bumper. Was this just a bodyman's mess up? Or was there a different type of trim that actually installs higher? Or that trim was lowered? The second photo attached shows the second set of holes. The ones with the X marks were the ones that were covered up.

Thanks guys

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

Fahrt Start

6 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

I do not think that a '68 even had that belt line trim. It was probably added by a PO who put it at the wrong height and changed it (2 sets of holes).

Ya that sounds about right. What really caught my attention was that they kinda seem out of place. And it doesn't seem very 60's era to use plastic on the outside of the car.

Fahrt Start

The knee trim first appeared in April 1971, with the mid-year introduction of the Modell 71 (knee trim, long-tail rear bumper, bump strip on front and rear bumpers, long console, black-face instruments, etc.).

But lots of us — myself included —wanted to update our ‘02’s to look “just like the newest models”.  I was assembling a kit of knee trim and long-tail rear bumper for my ‘70 when I totaled the car — definitely my bad.

BMW even offered their own kit, below, from a ca. 1972 U.S. accessories brochure.

The knee trim went at a height that matched the rub strips on the front and rear bumpers, just below the body crease.

Regards,

Steve

CDA8F084-4EB0-429F-B3A7-FA55E2ECDEAD.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

36 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The knee trim first appeared in April 1971, with the mid-year introduction of the Modell 71 (knee trim, long-tail rear bumper, bump strip on front and rear bumpers, long console, black-face instruments, etc.).

But lots of us — myself included —wanted to update our ‘02’s to look “just like the newest models”.  I was assembling a kit of knee trim and long-tail rear bumper for my ‘70 when I totaled the ‘70.

BMW even offered their own kit, below, from a ca. 1972 U.S. accessories brochure.

The knee trim went at a height that matched the rub strips on the front and rear bumpers, just below the body crease.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for that info Steve.

Fahrt Start

• 2 weeks later...

So @MitchaPaLoOza88, looks like you might have some knee trim to sell. I'd give really good money for your right door trim strip of it is in good condition.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)