• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn goes off turning left

rwidner

Hi I was curious if anyone knows any solutions for stopping the horn from going off after turning left. My horn will not honk manually, but whenever I turn it about 30 degrees to the left it goes off. Is there any diy solutions or ways to just completely stop the horn from going off?

Take the steering column shroud off behind the steering wheel. There is a horn ring contact there that is most likely displaced. When you turn the wheel this will be touching on the column and grounding the horn circuit. You should be able to reset it in the groove it is normally positioned which should solve your problem. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I think the issue might be your horn relay. It may be so old that that electromagnetic contacts are worn and it can no longer hold itself closed when you take turns. Same thing happened to me. Replacing the horn relay solved that.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

+1 on the horn ring displacement. I fought that a few months ago myself. Actually had to replace the steering column covers because the groove where the horn ring was supposed to sit was trashed by the PO trying to fit a late model cover with a early model top piece. 

10 hours ago, John76 said:

Make right turns only...:P

Right turns are safer than left hand turns anyway.  But if a left turn is necessary other traffic will take notice.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.