• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sorted! :) Installing 3" exhaust for new big turbocharger...

Sharktrainer

Currently have 2.5" on my lowered car, and scrape over even the mildest speed bump. Anyone have any creative approaches for clearance aside from creating a tunnel in floorboard, which I'm not against, but would rather avoid.

I entertained just directing it out to driver side fender at one point with my 2.5" current setup.

Have no emission regulations here in Hawaii, nor enforced noise laws. At one point had it dumping straight down right off turbo, but fumes and people pulling up telling me fire kept coming from under car when I would get on the go pedal, heh.

Edited by Sharktrainer

Nice work there :wub:

Already ordered all the pieces. I thought about what you did, but I keep destroying guibos, and would only complicate future change outs.

Car runs very well, just a little hiccup on transition from idle. Wish I had some sort of hydraulic engine mounts to absorb the vibration, which keeps loosening like everything on the engine.

The band clamps make it a 2 minute job to pull the center section. There’s one at the turbo too, so dropping the downpipe is almost as easy.

Good to hear it’s running pretty well. Hopefully you can dial out that hiccup.  

I made the mistake of switching to urethane mounts. Will probably switch back to HD rubber eventually. Nothing has vibrated loose yet, but I’m sure it’s a matter of time.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

7 minutes ago, Sharktrainer said:

I'll dial it for sure after I get the new turbo in. Might have to upgrade my fuel pump, again anyways. 

spec on new turbo to arrive any day now. made for 4 cylinders specifically and can make up to 800hp. Wanna take those smug faces off those Asian import race car drivers (not the ethnicity but the automobile manufacturer just to be clear in case I worded it poorly) at the 1/4 mile drag strip and take home some extra cheddar *wink* ;)

Compressor housing
0,60 A/R
Inducer 70 mm
Exducer 92 mm
TRIM 57
Inlet 102 mm
Outlet 2.5”
360 bearing

Turbine housing
0,63 A/R
T3 undivided flange
Exducer (outlet) 64 mm
Inducer 75 mm
Outlet 3" V-band

Edited by Sharktrainer

That's absurd!  I'm jelly.

I made an oval section out of some 2" and some 18 gauge- added about 1.5 inches of width, if I remember right.

The transitions were... well, custom.  You can do it to elbows, too, if you cut carefully.

(this was before ebay...)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL