• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacramento 02'ers... paint garage

dang

This is why I guide coat when blocking.  I worked on this fender for hours trying to get it straight and completely missed a dent on the top next to the hood.  This would've been really obvious and disappointing if I hadn't caught it.  I'm sure there will be little dings here and there that I miss but the guide coat has found quite a few so far.

IMG_20200813_194642689.jpg

• 1 month later...

Painted.  I'm shooting single stage paint and I think it may have been the reason I had a problem with the second coat.  The first coat went on great and laid down flat, then I waited 20-25 minutes and started the second coat and something was wrong with the gun.  It acted like there was a blockage and it wasn't flowing right, like the vent hole was plugged and forming a vacuum in the cup.  It wasn't, but I had a full cup of paint with hardener so I slowed way down and tried to make it work.  The second coat went on really rough and I had a few choice words for it, so I cleaned the gun really quick before the next coat and it went on fine but couldn't make up for the second coat well enough to fix it.  The damage was done, so I added hours of sanding because of it.

Here's a few photos.  The first show the "rough" paint.  The last photo shows the fender sanded and cut.  I'm almost done with the sanding and first pass cutting so I'll get more photos soon.

BTW, some of the weather seals are no longer available for this car so I decided to spend more time masking and left everything in place.  I have to keep reminding myself what this car is and how I plan on using it.

IMG_20200829_103019494.jpg

IMG_20200829_103109131_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200831_195211876_HDR.jpg

Edited by dang

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great color Dan! Hope all is well! 

Got the ‘70 running for the first time since I’ve brought him home and maybe first time in about 12 years to my understanding. Now it’s up on stands so I can wrestle around with the pedal box and bleed the clutch and brakes. 

Also found a set of Recaro Ergomed’s that need some refurb’n before they get mounted in the ‘69. Super comfortable. 

Happy holidays!

488E8BAE-CF8F-482F-B818-FDBDAA2B013A.jpeg

7085A34F-C43C-4E2A-8863-20034B611D90.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It took a little while to get my 32/36 Webers and had to source some linkage parts so I haven't had much to show lately.  This will be a cruiser car so the 32/36's should work fine.  In the meantime I decided to start polishing the Style 5 wheels that are going on the car.  I started out hand sanding but it's so much work I say, "screw that!" and built a wheel lathe to help.  I used a spindle/hub off of a '15 320i and rigged up a bracket to hold a drill motor.  I've gotten one wheel almost done and the lathe works better than expected.

IMG_20210307_163851669.jpg

Also managed to de-chrome the hood grilles.  The chrome was peeling off in spots and one grille was broken so I've decided to paint all the grilles on the car and the wheel centers the same color.

I used "Chlorinating liquid" with 10% Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) mixed about 50/50 with water.  Soaked for about three days, brushed off the goo and replaced the solution, then soaked for three more days.  Turned out good and with a little prep will be ready for paint.

IMG_20210224_173140371.jpg

IMG_20210226_121945472_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210303_133712493.jpg

Edited by dang

I got a set of used Weber 32/36's, took them apart and they looked really good and clean so I just put them on as-is.  The motor runs WAY better than it did with the stock Zenith's.  I drove the car around last weekend and I think it only needs some minor adjustments.  Man it feels good to finally have the car running decent.

IMG_20210313_140216478_HDR.jpg

14 hours ago, RichenFamous said:

Looks great! Stopped by your yard the other day and your guys said you had stepped out, sorry I missed you. 
Love to circle back and check out your ride in person. 

?

Rich

I usually only leave for lunch but if you want to stop by the shop any day except Wednesday after 5:00 I'll be there.  Now that the E3 is running I'm going to move the tii in the "work" garage...

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors