• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacramento 02'ers... paint garage

dang

When struggling with getting the motor to run good.  First it popped and hesitated really badly so I went through the systems to check for obvious problems.  I had all new plugs, wires, cap, etc. on the ignition side so I concentrated on my carbs.  I had them on my coupe for years and when I swapped Webers on the coupe I put the Zeniths on the shelf.  I bolted them on and the motor ran like crap.

Did a smoke test and found leaks where I'd taken the choke assemblies off, years ago, but I created my own problem by doing it.  Plugged those and now the motor ran with a bad misfire but didn't pop anymore.

Hours later after taking the carbs apart several times, messing with timing over and over, we discovered that TWO of the new Bosch spark plugs were bad.  Damn!  Wasted time, but now it's fixed so I can move on...

Got the driveshaft in with an M5 guibo and new center bearing.  Next is making a filler plate for the newer fuel tank.  The later version of E3 tanks are taller but not as wide so it leaves a gap in the floor.  A flat plate with some mounting holes should do the trick.

IMG_20200422_132723357.jpg

Regular caulking for the sealer and those are the torx head flat bolts that come on later BMW's used to secure headlights, fenders, etc. and they use the clip style nut on the sheet metal side.  I walk through the yard occasionally and fill my pockets full of Metric nuts, bolts, grommets, fasteners...  Always needed.

Huge milestone over the weekend.  I moved the car out of the garage and back in under it's own power!  It's been at least 25 years since the last time it was driven.  I need to bleed the brakes and clutch a little more before driving it on the street.  Oh yeah, and I need to find the damn license plate.  ?

IMG_20200509_174247425_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Making a pass at the body work to "rough it out" I guess.  Hammer and dolly, filler, power sanding with 80 grit and some primer.  I'll come back to the final body work when I'm ready to paint and do it all at the same time.  I got the suspension pieces out and will start figuring out the adapters for the struts first.  Should be fun...

IMG_20200524_155915907_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200523_162856796.jpg

Edited by dang

• 3 weeks later...

Since a lot of the car is taken apart I've decided to keep going on the body and paint until I'm done.  The suspension will be last now. 

I did my first ever metal patch on the quarter panel and I'm actually okay with it.  I'm not super proud but I think it was work good over the years to come.  I did realize I should've cut a little lower in the metal since it was a little thin and blew through in that area.  Still have a ways to go on this quarter panel but the rest of the car is almost ready for paint.

In the first photo, that part that looks like rust is actually the seam sealer that was put in from the trunk side.  All that got cleaned out before welding and it's probably the reason it rusted in that area in the first place.  The wheel arch to the right of the photo has been welded and is solid.  The "pin holes" are low spots between welds.

IMG_20200519_192956080.jpg

IMG_20200602_191958980.jpg

IMG_20200604_181129300.jpg

IMG_20200613_162452647_HDR.jpg

Edited by dang

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Working on the nose of the car now. In the past I've had good luck using a roller to add texture to rockers and nose valances so I decided to try it again on this car (yeah I know they have spray texture). All I had was a foam roller, and as it turned out it added a very mild texture compared to using the polyester rollers that are thicker and "grab" the paint more to create a "thicker" look. I'm using a two-part polyester primer surfacer so it's really hard once it sets up. I may go back over it with a thicker roller, not sure yet. I had a little extra paint left over so I went over some areas that need to block sanded. I think using a foam roller to cover bare metal after welding or sander would work well and be easy. Here's a few pics..

IMG_20200723_180819094.jpg

IMG_20200723_180528518.jpg

IMG_20200723_181121027.jpg

IMG_20200723_184351842.jpg

Edited by dang

• 3 weeks later...

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors