• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal switch question

Jvaz

Hello guys

I just replaced the Turn signal switch on my 1973 2002, and everything is working fine.

but I notice that the new switch is a little different, I was told that this is the newer switch.

the old switch has a black cable that goes to a part under the dashboard.

my question is, what is the part under the dashboard? And do I need to remove the black cable and add it to the new switch?

here is a picture of my old switch and a picture of the part in question 

thanks

JV

55D2FA7A-292C-475C-A119-E059B9F2E0E6.jpeg

AED9718A-666C-4B8B-8438-B17001B512A5.jpeg

That aluminum can looks suspiciously like the buzzer that reminds you that you've left your keys in the ignition when you open the door.  It normally lives inside the steering column surround but it's entirely possible that a PO just left it hanging loose after disconnecting one of the wires to keep him/her from going crazy with that infernal tweeting.  

The buzzer (tweeter) is a candidate for a swim in the neighbor's pool.

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The only reason I can think of is that on the 72 and 73 US cars, by selecting a left or right turn with the T/S lever and ignition off, you'll illuminate the left/right parking light and tail light (for on-street parking in Europe).  That means the turn signal wiring has a lead that's live all the time, and that buzzer works even with the ignition off.  

This whole setup was a Federal requirement, so BMW just figured out the easiest way to meet the rule.  Don't think this was required on Euro (or rest of world) cars.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, mike said:

The only reason I can think of is that on the 72 and 73 US cars, by selecting a left or right turn with the T/S lever and ignition off, you'll illuminate the left/right parking light and tail light (for on-street parking in Europe).  That means the turn signal wiring has a lead that's live all the time, and that buzzer works even with the ignition off.  

This whole setup was a Federal requirement, so BMW just figured out the easiest way to meet the rule.  Don't think this was required on Euro (or rest of world) cars.

mike

I think you are correct